Buy a rev. A. Who knows when rev. B will come around.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Jul 31, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It's been (almost) one year since...

The mac pro was introduced 1 year ago 1 week from today.
    Likewise the last spec change to the Cinema Displays also occurred 1 year ago 1 week from today.

As August 7th looms 1 week away as a highly rumored release date for new iMac revisions which are also growing old (328 days and counting), no word has come from Apple on a special event - which many expect SJ would introduce any significant redesign with fanfare - and so neither the iMac nor the Mac Pros or Displays have been updated in far too long.

And no 8-core Mac Pros with no change to video card options, updated motherboards, or a price reduction in the original Quad configurations do not qualify as a revision, neither do price drops on Cinema Displays which too did not see a spec change and have seen no other changes since last summer.

In fact the iMacs as well are just 8 days short of double their average update cycle of 168 days. One can't imagine that they would also approach the one year mark, but at this point with no word on early to mid-August updates as rumored, a September update is not outside the realm of possibility.

So what has gotten into Apple that the MacBook Pro Santa Rosa revisions, along with minor MacBook speed bumps and the excuse me but most of us can't afford an 8-core Mac Pro are the only computer revisions to come out of Cupertino this year. 2007....It's just the beginning...? While we have seen new n based Airport Extreme Base Stations, colored Shuffles, and not one but now two Apple TV models (which honestly should have been both available at launch), a delay to Leopard, no word on iLife, and yes, of course the iPhone (I have one) and its cute headset companion, the iMac which was the first to go Core 2 Duo and the Mini, let's not go there, as well as the Mac Pro and displays have been what, shelved? Sure Final Cut Studio saw a major release. But it sure does seem that they are taking their sweet time with a lot of stuff. Which is worriesome as they don't typically like to release much at the same time. Does that mean that if the iMac gets updated, who knows how long they will wait on the Pro equipment? The longer it all takes, the more ridiculous it gets. Will they push it all back some more for another Nano or iPod Video? C'mon they gadgets are great, but I want a new Mac to use them with.

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

It does seem odd that the we'd see this long stretch of time between updates now that Apple is using processors from Intel, a company that updates far more frequently than Motorola. When is Apple going to get in the game and update their machines as frequently as the PC manufacturers? They are marketing their machines as PC alternatives and would do best to follow the same schedule as their competitors.

3. stimpycat macrumors regular

Oh man this post is all I need - for 2 months I have been looking at buying a Mac Pro - I find this forum and it messes with my head.

I kid you not - today I have added and removed a Mac Pro from the shopping basket so many times.

I am not an apple person but even to my untrained eyes it seems like everything has ground to a halt as far as updates go to most things on the Mac line.

4. Azzurri15 macrumors member

I think Apple stretched their resources to the max; especially, with the Iphones release. Now they have a long way to go to keep up with the PC side of things (tech wise).

5. saxman macrumors 6502

If I remember right, didn't Apple leave the first G5 PowerMac's without a substantial update for more than a year? I think people were complaining that some did not want to buy a Rev A of a new chip. Seems as though history repeats itself

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Good grief, can you imagine the havoc that would ensue on these boards if Apple updated their machines as frequently as other PC manufacturers do? People are already beside themselves with worry that the machine they buy today may be replaced by something else in a few months time. Should Apple up their production speed the number of "buy now or wait?" threads would multiply exponentially and threaten to crush us all. Although a year is probably a long time between revisions, it's nice that Apple has a slower turnaround than most so we have a chance to enjoy our machines for a while before they become obsolete.

7. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Each machine doesn't need to be updated more than every 6-9 months, but the lapse between overall updates which used to be more frequent, just revolving from one line to the other seemed more frequent before, even at the beginning of Intel.

8. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I have to just say that the current Mac Pros are ridiculously powerful machines. I don't care if they are a year old; they will suit the needs of 99.99% of the people out there.

For example, my 1.5Ghz Powerbook takes over 26 hours to do a h.246 2-pass rip of a DVD. The same DVD at the same settings takes under 1:30 on my Mac Pro. A new revision will bump that time to what, 1:20 (at best)? Would waiting another 3 months be worth the extra 10 minutes?

I budget my equipment out for 2 years, so I'll be getting a new machine in about 16 months, but I don't know if I'll need it. It'd be great to shave a minute off an Aperture render, but, with my current needs, I wouldn't notice much of a difference.

9. stimpycat macrumors regular

wot mac pro do you run son?

10. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I hearby dub these threads the Rainman threads.

"Wopner comes on at 3. Wheel of Fortune. Mac Pro august 7th, definitely, definitely august 7th. Quantus never crashes."

I can't wait for the august 14th speculation threads!
    I can't wait for the august 21st speculation threads!
    I can't wait for the august 28th speculation threads!

11. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Quad 2.66 w/ 5GB

Edit: That wasn't 1 minute, 30 seconds. That was supposed to mean 1.5 hours. Sorry if that is the confusion.

12. stimpycat macrumors regular

thanks!