Buy a used MBP 15 inch mid 2010 for 350 euros?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Der Kommandant, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Der Kommandant macrumors member

Der Kommandant

Hi all,

I've had a offer to buy a used 15 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2010 i5 model for 350 euros. The MacBook without visible scratches and the battery has been replaced recently. Only the charging adapter does not come with it.

I've been waiting for the new Skylake MacBook Pros to arrive, but June is still more than a month away and I can patiently save when I buy the used MacBook Pro.

I already own a 21 inch iMac mid 2011 and a Windows laptop, but I rather use a laptop that runs OS X. I will use it primarily for text processing, surfing the web and virtual machines.

What do you guys think? Is it worth to buy it or should I wait and don't spend money to buy a obsolete product?

Thanks in advance

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I have the the same laptop i5 mid 2010 mbp 8gb ram and a samsung ssd with non-glossy screen, with a ssd it's fine for Office work and a work horse. Bit heavy to carry around so it mostly stays at the desk. Only Netflix requires use of chrome to not stutter but that is a software limit of safari, not the processor. Can't say if the price is right, that goes to the next caller.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

These are fairly prone to graphics problems. Apple had a repair extension for them which has now ended and the computers are now obsolete which means Apple will no longer service them. I would pass on this model.

4. Der Kommandant thread starter macrumors member

Der Kommandant

Thanks for the feedback. The biggest point for me is the fact that even due it's quite cheap it should not fall apart in the next few years or disappoint performances wise. 350 euros on it's own is not a lot of money, but maybe it is for 6 year old technology. Besides that I would have to increase the ram and put a SSD in it to make it workable. Furthermore I won't be having features like AirPlay or continuity. Overall I am not 100% convinced about buying it.