Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Austria Vienna
I am thinking of buying a 360 but i am not sure if i should as a lot of people say that it overheats or breaks easily...
i know that the games are amazing but i usually play for hours which concerns me...

MrMatt138

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Philly Suburbs
The "red ring of death" was a big issue with the earlier gen versions of the 360, but I haven't seen it with newer systems. I waited as long as I could before buying one, but in the end I just gave Best Buy another $30 for the extended warranty.

About a year and a half and no problems so far.

Zer00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Austria Vienna
The "red ring of death" was a big issue with the earlier gen versions of the 360, but I haven't seen it with newer systems. I waited as long as I could before buying one, but in the end I just gave Best Buy another $30 for the extended warranty.

ok thx for the help gonna buy one in december then i guess :p

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It was a problem early on, but a smaller CPU size, improved heatsinks, and a 3 year warranty have quelled the problems.

I bought the 20GB in the clear stock sale for 299.99 I can play mass effect for 8 hours and the top of the 360 is not even warm to the touch :)

There are price drops coming in September, and most likely a smaller GPU, which means even less heat, and less power usage. You said you are waiting until December, so you'll be good.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington

The "Red Ring of Death" still occurs in new 360's, but not as often as it used to. I know several people who have purchased their 360's in the last year, and had the problem.

TEG

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004

I had a friend that bought one about 3 months ago, and his is starting to act up. Even with the new CPU shrink, the GPU was the main culprit for RRODs. Once the newer 360s with the GPU shrink come out, I'm grabbing one.

Zer00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Austria Vienna
well in order to prevent overheat u can also buy those extra coolers even if it does look a bit weird ^^

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
well in order to prevent overheat u can also buy those extra coolers even if it does look a bit weird ^^

I would steer clear of those. I had one for my original xbox 360 (sold it bc I needed the money) and it made the console less reliable (made it go Red once) and louder.

Keep your console in an open, ventilated area and you are fine.

Joel Beason

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
Uconn
I have had one and I have had the "ring of death" twice. I just got another one from Microsoft, they pay for shipping and give you a 1 month xbox live card so you don't waste any of your money, it sucks they do break but they cover it completely so its not that huge of a deal.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
The only issue I have is that the CD drive sometimes gets stuck and won't open. Just needs a bit of a jiggle and it pops out but still annoying. I've had mine for around 2 years now.

MrFunkFuzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Heres the best a quickest answer anyone can give you.

NO!!!

I had one, blew up, sent it in, got repaired, blew up again, sent it in, got repaired, sold it, bought a PS3, best decision ever.

The end

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Heres the best a quickest answer anyone can give you.

NO!!!

I had one, blew up, sent it in, got repaired, blew up again, sent it in, got repaired, sold it, bought a PS3, best decision ever.

The end

Yeah I'm with MrFunkFuzz.

I know warranties are the world's greatest scam, but the only thing you should ever get them for are 360's and 360 games. ALL of my friends who have had a 360 have had the 360 RRoD'd or scratched at least two of their games past the point of no return. I have had my PS3, and kinda just smile and try not to rub it in their face whenever they complain about the next thing that happened to their 360.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saving up for one of the newer 360 models (and the warranty), but I don't want to deal with the RRoD and Xbox Live fees, which can sometimes (not always) be a major pain.

Zer00

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Austria Vienna
i changed my mind now anyways and im gonna buy a ps3 :p
i have the wii which i love and the only thing competitive to it would be its rival hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.