Buy advice and questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oldpinepoint, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Oldpinepoint macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been a long time lurker here and this is my first post and will be my first Macbook Pro. I'm thinking of purchasing the base level 13" Macbook pro, with maybe aftermarket RAM and a larger HD. I will primarily be using the machine for E-mail, internet, limited photos, some gaming, (WOW, SC2,) and Microsoft Office. Few Questions

1. First is the base level Macbook pro the right machine given my use?

2. Would it make more sense to upgrade the RAM and HD before i really use the machine? IF so, What HD would you recommend. (I've seen most of the RAM threads)

3. How does the Apple Store price comparison work? I currently live in Syracuse, NY and would like to try and bring in the micro center price to the apple store in order for them to match it. There is currently 2 micro centers in NY. Has anybody had any success with this.

Thanks for your help.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That, or a MacBook.

I'd wait on the RAM until after you use the machine; it's an easy upgrade.

If you plan to replace the HD, I would do it right away, so you don't have to muck around with migrating down the road. As far as which to get, I'm a fan of size - I put a 500 Gb 7200 RPM drive in my MacBook a while back. Many will tell you to get an SSD, but that wasn't right for me based on the size (capacity) of the drive and the price.

I've never tried it, and based off what I've seen Micro Center is, if anything, more expensive than the Apple Store.

If you're buying a stock model, you could try Amazon, or buy a refurb directly from Apple, to save some cash.

3. Oldpinepoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks I appreciate your answer. The micro center price on a base model 13" MacBook pro is $999.00. Hopefully the apple store would match it.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Check the models. Micro Center often sells older, discontinued models. Be careful.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

1. Probably. Like many, I do most of that and more on my MBP.

2. Personally, I would wait and use it for a while before upgrading. You may find you don't need to touch its performance right away. Then, later, when prices are lower, you can reinvigorate the thing and extend its life.

3. I think it varies by store, but they will usually have no problem knocking off the equivalent of the Apple education discount. At my nearest store, I was nearly ready to buy an MBA and I talked to the manager a bit about it. He would've allowed me to just pull up the Micro Center webpage and point to the advertised price. $100 off an MBA isn't going to kill them - and that is usually in line with the best "legit" deals out there like MC, Fry's etc. The guys at my store specifically brought up the iPad-at-Marshall's or wherever it was and said they could not match a deal that was so obviously a loss leader.

Good luck.