Buy Advice : iMac now or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dzigg, Dec 8, 2014.

  1. dzigg macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    #1
    Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been here, mostly because my mid 2011 MBA is rockin' like crazy.

    But, I think it's time to upgrade since I need a bigger screen real estate and more RAM (some programs like sketch app is really RAM hungry).

    My usage besides normal stuff (browsing, email, etc), is mostly do graphic work (sketch app, adobe suite) and going to learn a bit of app development.

    I also like to game, although nowdays it's not that much due to work, probably just a few games of FIFA here and there, don't mind if I can play battlefield or action title on lazy days.

    So.. my budget is under $2000, and I was thinking to buy mid to high iMac (the ones with iris pro, no dedicated gpu, 1 TB fusion drive)

    My question is :

    1. should I wait for the new iMac line up? Is there any rumors when it will be launched?

    2. IrisPro good enough for graphic work and games?

    3. Fusion drive good enough? how is it compared to my MBA SSDs?

    Thanks guys!
     
  2. redheeler macrumors 603

    redheeler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #2
    If you can handle waiting a year for the Retina iMacs to come down in price or increase your budget to get one now do that. Otherwise the 2013 should do just fine.

    Iris Pro should be fine for most things, just not heavy gaming.

    The Fusion drive will be slower than an SSD. I always recommend an SSD with external storage because you'll get the fast SSD to to do day to day stuff with and an HDD for file storage that can be swapped out for one with a larger capacity or easily replaced if it dies.
     
  3. dzigg thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    #3
    Thx for the reply,
    I don't think I can wait for another year, a couple of months maybe cause I need it for work. I can get by with my MBA in the mean time.

    I would love for a retina iMac, but don't have the budget right now.. so the plan is to buy iMac now or in a couple of months, use it for work, profit, and next year upgrade to retina iMac!

    I don't mind lowering the settings and resolution.

    Thanks for the SSD advice, I agree that's the best option for me, especially since I'm already used to the SSD speed in the MBA.
     

Share This Page