Buy Airport Extreme or other router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amorya, Jan 5, 2011.

1. amorya macrumors 6502

I currently have an old 802.11g Airport Extreme. Lately it's been dropping offline every so often: the network still shows in the list but no device can join it. This is solved by a reset (by pulling the power cord), but it suggests it's time to upgrade. I could also use the extra speed and range of an N device.

Would you guys recommend the new Airport Extreme with 802.11n, or is there a third party router that is cheaper and/or better?

At the moment I'm sharing a cable internet connection via both wifi and ethernet, with the cable modem plugged directly into the Airport. I may switch to FTTC VDSL soon, but I believe that most companies offering that will give me a modem that does PPPoE, which would connect to an Airport base station fine.

Amorya

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The Airport Extreme Base Station is a fine router, I use it and never have any problems. It is more expensive than other comparable routers.

3. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

Go with the airport extreme, I recently replaced my Netgear G router that was doing the same.

Added a 1TB usb drive to the extreme for Time machine. I picked up the previous model Extreme for $50 on ebay. (The one without the gigabit ethernet ports)

4. Scippy macrumors regular

There are quite a lot of third-party routers out there that are cheaper, but I still would recommend going with an airport extreme. Unlike my other routers, I've never had any problems with my airport extremes and the interface is far superior.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There are plenty of cheaper routers out there.However, I'd seriously doubt if they are better - in fact, quite the contrary! One of the main advantages of the Airport Extreme is that it is so easy to set up and in my personal experience, it performs faultlessly.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I went with a WNR3500 a while back, Staples had it for $80 and I used a $25 off $75 coupon from ebay so my net cost was a little under $60 plus tax. It's been very solid and I've not missed the lack of dual-band.

If you choose to go with a AEBS, consider buying a refurb current-generation model from the Apple online store to save some money, $130 instead of $180: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC340LL/A

My understanding at the time, and I may be incorrect, is that the AEBS requires client software to configure it rather than having a web interface for configuration. I've been down that road before and prefer having a clientless configuration/management option, which is the case for most other routers.

7. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

i had a linksys that worked fine for years, just changed to apple router and happy with it, seems more solid.

8. joleel7 macrumors member

Any idea how is the signal range like? I plan to place the router in the basement.. Can this router act as gateway.? thx

9. jsilas macrumors regular

I replaced a Cisco/Linksys WRT310N Gigabit/Wireless-N router with the newest Airport Extreme Base Station.

My wireless throughput improved more than 6x, range is much better, and everything is working perfectly.

I was hesitant to buy it due to it's price tag ($179), but now I'm so glad I did. My advice: GET IT.

10. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Not necessarily. It is actually cheaper than a number of N routers.
    It is one of the finest consumer routers I can think of, even if there's no Macs on the network in question.

11. Wiggum macrumors member

While others on this forum may disagree, I think that a revised AirPort is coming out soon. I am in the same position as you, but I'm going to wait out until the announcement of the iPad 2 in hopes that it will be released at the same time. With Apple really focusing on streaming video and audio for FaceTime and AirPlay, I can't imagine they are going to go very long without a QOS router.

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

I'd recommend to the OP to do a Factory Reset. This will often fix a lot of Airport issues....returns your Extreme to 'fresh from the box' condition...downfall is you'll have to do some software/firmware updating and you will need to re-create your network and security and the like, but the whole procedure should take less than 20 minutes and at the end you will likely have a more problem-free unit.

Does a much better job of fixing things that just a cycling of the power, which you have been doing.

Procedures for various types of resetting.

13. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I bought one last weekend and love it. I went back to Best Buy yesterday to pick up something else where they keep them. They had no more in stock. They may be pulling inventory and getting ready for a new model. I hope they let me return it in the 30 day window if a new one comes out.