Buy an Apple TV now or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Barbs, Jun 14, 2014.

  1. Barbs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    #1
    Is a new Apple TV refresh likely in the near future? And if so do you think the upgrade over current version will be drastic enough to be worth the wait? I'd like to see the ATV open to developers. I'd like to see a robust App Store for the ATV.
     
  2. Alisstar macrumors 6502

    Alisstar

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #2
    I don't know for certain what the new ATVs will offer. But just in case, I'd wait if I were you. In fact, I am waiting.
     
  3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

    gmanist1000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    #3
    I really need a new steaming box to replace my PS3, and I've contemplated the Fire TV, but I'm holding out for the updated Apple TV. I think it'll be worth it.
     
  4. isomorphic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #4
    I don't think Apple is going to sit around and let Amazon take away their "hobby." Heck, after the release of the Fire TV, I would expect Roku to bring out a Roku 4 if for no other reason than to tighten the spec gap.

    The Apple TV's CPU is already a couple of generations old. The software can't do audio better than AC3, which is 1990s tech. Apple keeps adding apps, but I think most people would agree with the notion that an actual App Store is at least one of the things the Apple TV needs to grow properly.

    It's not going to take a company like Apple a whole lot of engineering time to slap together a new iteration of Apple TV hardware based upon the last-gen iPhone (or whatever), so "it's the software, stupid." That, and content licensing.

    What I'm saying is that I expect a new Apple TV this fall at the latest, with radically improved software (perhaps an App Store, perhaps Siri, etc.) and possibly with something new or different on the services side (iTunes video subscriptions, etc.).
     
  5. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    .uk
    #5
    H.265/HEVC support? 4K support? DD Plus support? DD TrueHD support?

    Lots that Apple could do...
     
  6. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

    JohnLT13

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
    #6
    Buy one now, then wait for the new one to come out.
    Nothing wrong with having two.
     
  7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

    Boyd01

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    #7
    With the refurbs going for $75, you really don't stand to lose much by purchasing now. I got one about a month ago, but I have no interest in an app store, games, 4k support or the other things mentioned here. Definitely wouldn't like it if they included a bunch of stuff I don't need and then raised the price. ;)
     
  8. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

    crzdcolombian

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2010
    #8
    Apple TV 3 is fine just drop the price of the current model to $50 bucks to compete with chrome cast and Roku. It does less and cost double what its competitors do. For 100 bucks you can get a used xbox 360 or PS3 that does more then all the set boxes :)
     
  9. boomhower macrumors 68000

    boomhower

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    #9
    This. Buy one for $75 and when the new one comes out sell it for $50. $25 for a few months usage ins't much at all. A new one certainly is long overdue but no one has a clue when. No leaks or anything concrete at all so far. With every Apple product we have pretty solid rumors or mockups months before release, nothing in this area yet.
     
  10. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2012
    #10
    I'm looking at getting my first Apple TV and I'm not sure if I should save the $35 and just buy a refurbished 2nd Gen or get the newest one. What is the difference?
     
  11. waw74 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    #11
    it'll not be the 2nd gen, the aTV2 - the 720 version, is the only one that can be jailbroken, they normally go for $250+ on ebay.

    the aTV3 (the one in stores now) the 1080 version, has come in 2 versions, they are functionally identical, the retail packaging, and the actually device enclosure itself are identical, and there is no way to tell them apart except for the model number (or ripping the aTV open).
    Apple redesigned the electronics to make their supply and manufacturing chains easier on them.

    with the stock firmware the aTV2 and aTV3 operate and look the same. with the exception of the higher resolution on the aTV3

    even the aTV2 and the aTV3 are identical on the outside, last time i moved, i put them both in the same box, i had to consult the internet and the model numbers to tell the apart before i plugged them in.
     
  12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

    The Doctor11

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2013
    Location:
    New York
    #12
    I would wait to get a new Apple TV. I think they are likely to release a new on in November.
     
  13. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2012
    #13

    Waiting isn't an option so I think we're going to go with the 3rd Gen.
     
  14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

    ActionableMango

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #14
    It's looking like the new one will indeed be drastically different. But nobody knows when it's coming out, and the price might be higher. If you don't care for the changes, you might actually prefer the ATV3.

    In fact, there are people who prefer the ATV2 and used examples starting selling for more than MSRP.

    So I agree with the others. Provided you can afford it, get an ATV3 now. If you like the ATV4, sell the 3 for hardly any loss. If you don't like the ATV4 features or price, be glad you got an ATV3.
     
  15. betman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2013
    #15
    These things are cheap so I'd just get an ATV3 right now. Just make sure you DON'T upgrade the software. At all. :)
     
  16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    #16
    Buy it. You can always move it to a secondary tv/kids room when the new one comes out. Its not likely for Apple to stop supporting the current one for a while.
     
  17. blakek macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2013
    #17
    def buy one; just get a remade one for $75 or whatever from apple's website

    use it on another TV if a new one comes out
     

Share This Page