Buy an i7 27" now or wait till refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 66Replica, Dec 17, 2009.

  1. 66Replica macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys,

    Is there any consensus on when the next refresh will be and what it may entail? I'm getting some cash together this week for a new i7 27" but with all the problems maybe I should wait till the refresh this spring. Any thoughts?
     
  2. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    #2
    If what you buy is faulty, just get a refund. If it's fine (as mine currently is, touch wood), then enjoy it.
     
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #3
    The Core i7 i870 is the only faster option for the iMac (Lynnfield). The new iMac platform is almost at a dead end but you can see my remarks here.
     
  4. 66Replica thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    #4
    So you're saying there will be one more i7 upgrade refresh then a whole new chipset?
     
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #5
    LGA 775 and Lynnfield are both at dead ends for any processor or platform updates. You won't see anything significant until Sandy Bridge in 2011.

    Even with the new Core i7 980X roadmap update there's nothing new.
     
  6. thleeal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2009
    #6
    hhhhmmmm

    hi there,

    just a thought, but i read a story of laice bringing out usb3 hard drives in "the next few months"

    perhaps a refresh would bring usb3 capabilities and/or the light peak thing apples doing.

    it perhaps may be in your best interest to wait till the next refresh to iron out the bugs too.

    i dont know about you but when i buy my macs, they last 18 months minimum, and then i get rid sweetspo) as far as value goes in my experience. if i were to buy an i7 i would want her to last hopefully 5 years, but a minimum of 3-4. that being said, if usb3 becomes a new standard and your left with a $x,000 machine with usb2 connectors, its going to feel bad. reallyreally baad.

    just a thought.....juuust a thought
     
  7. 53x12 macrumors 68000

    53x12

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #7
    And why do you need USB3.0? You seem to be doing just fine without it. Use Firewire800 in the meantime. As has been discussed USB3 is basically worthless when LightPeak is around the corner. USB3 is just a holdover.
     
  8. spencers macrumors 68020

    spencers

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2004
    #8
    These machines have only been out for two months. :rolleyes:
     
  9. Winni macrumors 68030

    Winni

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Germany.
    #9
    My consensus is that people who can afford to wait until some science-fiction update in some undefined future don't need a (new) machine in the first place.

    The Quad Core iMac was released only a few days ago. I wouldn't expect any new magical bullets in the next few days or weeks.
     
  10. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #10
    Waiting for an upgrade after a major platform revision doesn't make much sense to me. Waiting for a Rev. B on a platform exhibiting widespread and serious defects on the other hand, makes a world of sense.
     
  11. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    #11
    I never buy the first model that comes out. D:

    I didn't buy the 1g iPod touch, and look at the seemingly obvious and important updates they put into the 2g: external volume controls, faster processor, speaker, bluetooth, etc.

    Also, it gives them a chance to fix problems with the machines, and to generally finish polishing them. Another reason why I didn't buy this iMac is because my lovely 24" is still a beast.:D
     
  12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #12
    They just came out.....if you want to wait you'll be waiting for another 7 months or so.
     
  13. jonnysods macrumors 601

    jonnysods

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    There & Back Again
    #13
    Is this a joke?

    They have barely been out! I would pull the trigger if you need one - they are as fast as my Mac Pro - almost 2.5x the previous generation. You won't be hurting if you buy one of these. Its got me wondering about my MP purcahse that's for sure!

    Oh well, at least I can upgrade my video card in the future!

    Good luck with your decision!
     
  14. rs14smith macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #14
    I was going to wait, but went ahead and went to the Apple Retail store and ask the guy had there been many returns for it, and he said "no". Of course he would have been told to say that, but considering the 27" they had on display didn't have the issues (i tested for the yellow tinge etc..) I went ahead and purchased the i5 version.

    Got home, opened it up, worked like a charm.

    Now it's 3 days later, it's still working like a charm. So at the moment, I just say it's the luck of the draw. I hear more ppl having issues when they have the item "shipped" other than just picking it up from the store.
     
  15. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2009
    #15
    As someone who is like wise holding out and feeling the temptation torture too... albeit for a mac pro. I'd say go for it, it's unlikely that there's going to be a refresh any day soon.

    here's been a few threads speculating on a replacement to the 30" display but as yet none has been forth coming, likewise talk of gulftown processors arose further back than september and yet again there is no word of due date, my guess is apple are like the rest of the world seems to be doing..... slowing down. If it was only to mean the new life value of your imac was extended by six months then you'll still have a "new" system well in to next year.

    If the rumour mill whell stops turning on the replacement mac pro then i could be joining you in purchasing a new imac.
     
  16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #16
    I'm half considering waiting for a fresh only because of all the problems. a refresh in the summer or something might be the best of both worlds.
     
  17. matt3224 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #17
    I'm in the same boat

    Ever since it popped up in the apple store ive wanted one. glorious 27" display core i7, 2tb hdd with intense graphics but its not that bigger leap forward. I would like something like usb 3.0 or lightpeak or the option of an ssd hdd, dare i say it a blu-ray drive all of which i see no problem with apple putting up as a BTO ( i know light peak isn't ready). I'm leaning toward waiting for the refresh.

    There are two events which will help us both within 7 months of now, the announcement of the proposed islate and this years iPhone i mean surely one of these will have the next gen connections i'd like in an imac. This kinda ties in with MR buyers guide which pins the next iMac refresh in around 7 months so maybe we'll here something at WWDC2010 ?
     

Share This Page