Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickw59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I am considering to replace my IMAC-G5 20 inch with a more powerful model.

I was planning to purchase a new 20 inch model (2.4 GHz Core Duo 2) when I suddenly realised that MacWorld will take place mid-january. This is the time when new products are announced.
I realise that all moments are always good moments to replace a computer, but I am in no real hurry as all these electronic devices cost a lot of euros.
In your opinion, is an update to the current IMACs realistic?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
In my opinion, no. Perhaps a speedbump, that would be about it.

Mac Pro's probably, maybe a slim portable (?), slight chance of iPhone 2.0 (??), but nothing major for the iMacs.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Penryn mobile processors are likely to be in high demand, even if Apple can get some sortof upply then notebooks take priority. I wouldn't expect anything iMac until nearer march.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Penryn mobile processors are likely to be in high demand, even if Apple can get some sortof upply then notebooks take priority. I wouldn't expect anything iMac until nearer march.
Besides, the Penryn chips is pretty expensive (~$600 at the very least) and I'm not sure how the heat is going to be handled... i really don't see them entering the iMac lineup anytime soon.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Besides, the Penryn chips is pretty expensive (~$600 at the very least) and I'm not sure how the heat is going to be handled... i really don't see them entering the iMac lineup anytime soon.

The mobile penryns will be like the current ones the iMacs use, probably consuming less heat at faster speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.