buy an iMac from Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by antonislap, Sep 19, 2011.

1. antonislap macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am travelling to hong kong in a month, and i am curious if i am able to buy an iMac from HK and take it with me in Europe without extra charges taxes e.t.c

Please Help :)

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd Check With

Customs and Excise. I've got a strong feeling you may well get clobbered for both import duty AND VAT.

I was going to get relatives in the States to buy me some Apple stuff, but it would have cost me evn more in duty than if I had purchased here in the UK

There would probably be support issues too. It sucks the way we have to pay more, but it's just the way it is. I'm more fortunate than most, having friends at Apple gets me max discount, but we still pay way over the odds here. I don't lookmat the USA prices anymore.....It just makes me so :mad:

3. antonislap thread starter macrumors newbie

if i am gonna put it in a large bag, and put a "fragile" sticker on, you think that still gonna be a problem?

4. Macman45, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If The Guy

Decides to ask you to open that bag, stickers won't help you. With security being tight these days I wouldn't like the odds. If you couldn't front up the cash you would lose your machine.

I don't mean to sound negative, and yeah, you MIGHT get away with it, but imagine how your gonna feel if you don't.

5. antonislap thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, you have right... The prices though are so cheap, and i have to find a way..
    http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=119374

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

On top of customs, you will also have issues getting it into the plance in the first place. Putting it as regular luggage is everything else but a good idea. The luggage people aren't really known for their carefulness - the bags are handled very roughly. You would also need a huge bag to fit the whole iMac into it, and some stuffings to make it more protective.

Sure, there is the option of paying more for special luggage but that isn't cheap. I wouldn't do that unless they offer an insurance either.

8. alainc macrumors newbie

not to mention it weights 30 pounds. I had a hard time carrying a 27inch iMac back to home from the store, which is usually a 5-minute walk.

9. lc25 macrumors 6502

As mentioned by others, luggage people don't read labels..... and customs are getting ever so tight with security and catching people dodging taxes. I was had importing a SSD, cost me more than i had saved in the end..... lesson learnt.

10. entropyfl macrumors regular

I would of said that it would be next to imposible to avoid the costs.. Be easy to buy a macbook pro or air and bring in because you can say it was yours and you had been traveling with it...

you'd just need to throw the packaging or post them to yourself

11. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

Yeah macbook or air would be no prob but an imac i think its to risky to do !!
    if you would buy it and post it to your place?
    Ofcourse send it insured , but then again maybe you have to pay customs again when it arrives..

12. jinnyman macrumors member

Isn't there also a warranty issue?
    I thought the global warranty covers only portable computers.