Buy an iMac in the US

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bundesdrucker, Sep 6, 2011.

1. bundesdrucker macrumors newbie

Hey Im new to this board and need some help. I am currently studying in California for 1 semester (originally from Germany) and want to buy the newest iMac here (currently own a late2009 MacBook). And I've got several questions about that.
    - I've read about the fan problems when trying to upgrade your HD. So I think I have to swallow the bitter pill and use Apples upgrade, if I want it. Question: Does the same go for RAM? Cause the Apple RAM is just WAY to expensive. And if its possible, can someone link me to cheap alternative RAM?
    - Im thinking about buying a protection plan as well. Since it is pretty useless for me in the US (since im just staying a half of the year) it might come in handy back in Germany. Question now: Are Apple Care Protection Plans international or are the services bound to the country you purchased the device and the plan in?
    Hope somebody can help me :)

2. Jduncan0392 macrumors member

alright, first off, will you be using this for youtube, video editing, gaming, anything like that? unfortunately I don't know anything about applecare, I'm just a hardware guy.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Ram you can upgrade it yourself and yes applecare is international!

4. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Welcome aboard! The memory you can get here http://www.crucial.com/?cpe=pd_msn_us&ef_id=wzROOTIlUkwAAE4u:20110803113357:s
    and you can install it yourself, all you need is a screw-driver. The AppleCare plan is international, and before you buy a new Mac, check the prices on the net, you may save big bucks if you do. A few places for you to check is macmall.com, bhphoto.com and micro center.com. Good luck!

5. bundesdrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers already :)
    I will be using it mostly for working purpose. My major is journalism but I do media design on my free time. So basically video/sound-editing and graphic design (Indesign,Illustrator,Photoshop) should be pretty decent :)
    I want to customize my Mac and I thought that with the students cut-offs I would make a pretty decent deal at apple.com. I stand corrected, will deffinatly check those places out! Thank you :)

6. Trinite macrumors regular

Hm. Have you thought about how you're going to get it back to Europe? I ask because I live in Budapest (I'm from the States), and of course Apple stuff is much more expensive here. So I've considered buying an iMac in the US - but even the 21.5" is too big for carry on. There are a lot of threads here about the risks of checking a computer as baggage, and shipping it safely could be expensive....

7. blunti macrumors 6502a

oh, budapest... what a lovely city...

you could just outright import it. This way you only need to pay the Tax ( Áfa ), but no customs fees ( Vám ), since they don't collect that on computer-related goods.

Still waaaay cheaper:)

8. bundesdrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it really that dangerous to hand in my iMac as baggage if I wrap it in bubble foil and protect it?

9. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Correction AppleCare is only international on portable machines because the power adapter is external. Internal power supplies on desktops aren't interchangeable with 110/220.

10. Trinite macrumors regular

OP: I don't know, but we've all heard (and seen) how they treat baggage. Perhaps try checking around here for some of the other threads, to get people's sense of this. The impression I got is total horror at the thought. Although there do seem to be some (rather expensive) good travel cases out there.

And I don't want to hijack the post, but Blunti, how does one "import" a computer from another country?

11. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Why don't you carry with you, its your computer. My family always buy laptops here in the US and take it to Brazil in a laptop case. What you should not do is take the laptop in the box.

12. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

Because its kinda heavy mayb they dont let u take the box in the cabin..:confused:

13. mapleleafer macrumors regular

iMacs come with a switchable (internal) power supply (from the Tech Specs: Line voltage: 100-240V AC). All you'll need is a new power cord. How that might affect AppleCare, I don't know. Give Apple a call and find out.

I bought my iMac in Germany and am now in Canada. Just bought a power cord for 2 bucks (and a new keyboard).

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've also heard/read that apple care is only international on laptops. Do call and check with them.

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Apple has optional adapter for a reason!

16. bundesdrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

So I won't have any problems with the iMac's power support? Do I just need to change the cable or do I have to screw it open or what? Oh and I looked at the places Hamilton1963 told me, sadly they cant beat apples education store prices :p
    But thank you guys so far you are very helpful :)

17. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

You can usually have one carry on. Buy an iLugger and carry it on yourself.

18. blunti macrumors 6502a

If you still have any friends/relatives in the US, they could ship it to you.

just make sure the iMac operates on 110-240 because 220 is what you need in BP.

19. Trinite macrumors regular

Great - thanks! :)