Buy an iMac now (11/28/11) or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aristor, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Aristor, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

Aristor macrumors member

Hello, I was going to buy an iMac 27" 3.1GHz, for general computer usage, watching movies via netflix (on an absolutely beautiful screen *drools*), and casual gaming, but then I saw the recommendation not to buy it on this site as it was nearing the end of it's cycle. I used the chat online feature to talk to an apple employee who told me that the latest update was released in August, so it was very current. My questions are:
    1) How often do updates come out?
    2) Do they usually improve enough to make a noticeable difference?
    3) Is there any way to upgrade an iMac without buying a new one completely?
    4) What's coming in the next update?
    5) How old is the actual iMac?
    6) Unrelated, but whatever: Should I go Magic mouse or trackpad? (I plan to buy a Razer Deathadder for gaming, but for general web browsing, what do you think?
    Thanks!

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

1) How often do updates come out? Averagely 300 days. So, no reason for waiting if you have to buy now.
    2) Do they usually improve enough to make a noticeable difference? Yes, quite noticeable. 2011 iMac roughly 20% faster than equally priced 2010 iMac.
    3) Is there any way to upgrade an iMac without buying a new one completely? Officially? No. User can upgrade RAM. However if you wanna go rebel, you can replace almost anything inside iMac today, CPU, GPU, HDD, you name it .. just don't go to Apple if anything goes wrong, however.
    4) What's coming in the next update? Predictably Ivy Bridge CPU, and Radeon 7xxxM GPU, or maybe switch back to nVidia, nobody knows for sure.
    5) How old is the actual iMac? I don't totally get this question, but first "Bondi Blue" iMac was released in 1998.
    6) Unrelated, but whatever: Should I go Magic mouse or trackpad? (I plan to buy a Razer Deathadder for gaming, but for general web browsing, what do you think? TrackPad, IMO Magic Mouse is a terrible mouse, not "trackpady" enough but not capable for a mouse either. Hybrid just wont cut it, get a real mouse!
    Thanks! You're welcome :)

3. Aristor thread starter macrumors member

So in your opinion, should I buy now, or wait?

4. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

1) How often do updates come out?
    The buyer's guide is pretty accurate. The next update will incorporate Ivy Bridge which isn't due until Q2 '12.

2) Do they usually improve enough to make a noticeable difference?
    Ivy Bridge is a die shrink of Sandy Bridge. So, IMHO it won't be as big a jump as a Core 2 Duo to Core i7 was.

3) Is there any way to upgrade an iMac without buying a new one completely?
    HDD/SSD and RAM only. CPU, GPU, motherboard is 'fixed'

Pure speculation is Ivy Bridge, GPU bump

5) How old is the actual iMac?
    Not sure what you mean by this

6) Unrelated, but whatever: Should I go Magic mouse or trackpad? (I plan to buy a Razer Deathadder for gaming, but for general web browsing, what do you think?
    I prefer the Magic Trackpad. I like that the gestures/scrolling stays consistent between my iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You ready and need the computer now? Well no reason for wait .. Buy now :)

In short, iMac isn't a type of computer that updated every few months, unlike when you build a custom PC. So, dont wait the next gen iMac.

6. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Here's my take:

1) How often do updates come out? Once in a year

2) Do they usually improve enough to make a noticeable difference? No. You may notice significant increase in speed if you compare every other release, i. e. C2D to Sandy Bridge. The bump from a 2010 base i3 to 2011 base i5 is only ~25% and is not enough to make me upgrade my iMac. The gurus on here say Ivy Bridge will bring a small increase in speed.

3) Is there any way to upgrade an iMac without buying a new one completely? Others have already replied

5) How old is the actual iMac? The iMacs were last updated in May 2011
    6) Unrelated, but whatever: Should I go Magic mouse or trackpad? (I plan to buy a Razer Deathadder for gaming, but for general web browsing, what do you think? I like the magic mouse but it drains the batteries pretty quickly.

Thanks! You're welcome

7. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

One reason that may be worth waiting for is... the next rev iMacs will likely have USB3.

8. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

Its not nearing the end of its cycle. Its possibly from half to a quarter way through (depending on the rumors)

Its the same qu,. If you need/want it now buy. Otherwise wait 7 months sure.
    note that after the next iMac there will also be another one and another one and another one .....;)

I use a Microsoft X8 and steelseries s&s mousemat. Its a joy to behold. I found the magic mouse too slow and insensitve but hey am I used to gaming mice which are a different league to normal mice. The 4000dpi setting on the X8 is particularly suited to the 27" scren.

9. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I think the general consensus is that the next release, Q2 2012, will be a redesign.

10. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Good response all around.

Just to "pile on", the Magic mouse is a horrible device. I hate it. The track is very nice of just about everything except gaming.

11. Aristor thread starter macrumors member

What does this mean?

12. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It means it may get physically redesigned in terms of it's aesthetics.

14. Aristor thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I don't know. I rather fancy the iMac as is.

15. Madmats macrumors member

I'm waiting. I have a PC which is only a year old and a Macbook. I will survive even though I would love to get one now - since I have the money. But I wouldn't be able to live with that decision when they announce a new one.

16. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I agree
    I love the current look
    I suspect that a touch screen may be the main innovation (hello kids fingerprints all over the screen :( )
    And probably a smaller chin

17. 6ftunder macrumors member

Why would you say that the iMac won't get updated for another 7 months?

If you check the buyer's guide, the average cycle is 273 days, and even if you take the longest cycle, which is 309 days, that only leaves about 100 more days because it's already been 211 days since the last update.

And since today is November 30th, I think we could be expecting the new iMac around March 2012.

I will definitely be waiting for the new one to come out since my Unibody Macbook is only a year old, but I'll need the iMac for 3d modeling, heavy photoshopping etc.

18. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I have a late 2009 27" iMac that still runs 100% perfect just like the day when I bought it. I'm usually the type that likes to have the latest and greatest.

but this time will be the exception. my iMac does everything I need to do and some. no reason(s) for me to upgrade.

19. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

I'm torn about this myself: I currently have a 2006 iMac C2D, ie. the last white model, and I've overgrown it. I'm pretty sure that for basic "office" usage it's still perfectly usable (especially with a clean install) and I'm sure I could make some change by selling it — the alternative being leaving it to collect dust.

I suppose it would survive to March or whenever it is the new ones will come out, but Xcode and heavy Photoshop are making it quite unbearable. Ivy Bridge sounds nice, but the only 'real' thing I can see myself waiting for would be USB3, and that'd be mostly to future-proof the purchase. Then again, I expect Thunderbolt-USB3 hubs to come out soon enough, and I don't even have any USB3 device anyway, so...
    The "new design" honestly kind of scares me: so-called first revisions of new hardware rarely work well, and I'd like to avoid being a paying beta tester. :)