iPad Buy an iPad now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chumps52, Nov 26, 2013.

1. chumps52 macrumors regular

I have just sold my 1st gen Mini which I had had since January (Before that I had an iPad 2), and was planning on buying an iPad Air.... But I was wondering whether this was the right time with there already being rumours about another new/better/bigger iPad possibly coming out early 2014?

2. FrasierCrane macrumors newbie

3. chumps52, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

The amount of times I've bought a device and another comes out very soon after.... eg iPad 3 (Bought in June 2012, new one comes out just a few months later)

It's fair enough to be paranoid when they cost this much...

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Well, you have the right to be panic. Ipad Air has 1gb ram, so it is not so highly unlikely that Ipad Air/S will appear early 2014 with double ram!!!

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yes, this is what Apple typically does; they sell millions of iPads, then release a new model with double the specs two months later. When the riots dissipate, the smoldering stores are rebuilt, and the whole process starts over again.

:rolleyes:

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Technology is constantly improving. You should never be paranoid about buying a product right before a new one comes out since there is no avoiding it. Sure, you can wait for the next iPad but then the next device will be rumored and come out within a year. About a month later, people will come here again saying "should I buy it now? The next one will be out soon, won't it?" The answer for me will always be buy it now if the current product will work for you IN THE PRESENT, and to stop thinking about how it will look in a year.

7. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Remember the rumors about how Apple was releasing a cheap, low cost iPhone to compete in the no contract/emerging markets? See how that panned out?

If you base your buying decisions base purely on speculative rumors that have absolutely no hard evidence backing them, you will never buy anything.

If you need it now, buy it. If you don't, don't.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is not going to release a new tablet when they just updated their entire line. If you don't need one or don't like what they have to offer then wait until 3rd quarter 2014, otherwise the current line up is great and take the plunge.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Kind of like the matrix? :D

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No one on here knows what Apple will do.

If you wait a couple of months for an early 2014 iPad and nothing is released, will you then wait until fall 2014 for the actual release, because its only a couple of months away? Will you wait again because there might be an early 2015 iPad?

You can spend forever waiting, or you can get an iPad and enjoy it.

Did your iPad 3 all of a sudden stop working because the 4 came out? Since you're already planning on upgrading I'm not sure why you're concerned about device longevity.

11. chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

:p

----------

Fair point, might as well get one now then ;)

----------

I was just paranoid about the 3rd/4th generation, where they were announced within 6/7 months of each other. I guess that won't happen again, but I just didn't want to buy the iPad Air now and have another iPad announced in April/May...

----------

As I said above, I just didn't want to buy one now and have another announced soon after. I guess they probably/hopefully won't bring out another that soon again ;)

12. dmr123 macrumors newbie

I'm in exactly the same situation.. Think Ill wait a few months and hope for a new release...

For £500 it should be solid gold. (ish)

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You can buy it now if you can't live without it. :apple:

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If by "a few" you mean 11, then you'll be fine.

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It'd be ridiculous to expect a new iPad to come out before next fall. This isn't like the iPad 3/4 situation.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As someone else in this thread said, no one knows for sure what Apple is going to do. Some will claim that they do, but unless they are willing to put their money where their mouth is, their claims are nothing more than opinion.

You are correct in wanting to be careful.

How long do you keep your iPads? If you're going to keep it a few months and then turn it over for another one, then there is no need to wait. Simply buy an iPad Air now.

But if you plan on keeping the device for an extended period of time (my definition of extended period: minimum of 2 generations) then I suggest that you wait a bit longer... the iPad Air might have a mid-generation spec bump (similar to the iPad 2) or there might be a new model mid-gen. At the very least, by waiting a little bit, you'll give Apple's mfg contractors a little time to improve quality control on the Air.

Obviously just my opinion.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or late 2014.

----------

Here's the thing. The Air 2 will either be released 6 or 12 months after the Air 1. Now since we don't know which you can wait until the anticipated spring 2014 release. If that happens you will happily get the upgraded one, but what if it doesn't happen, then you have to decide if you want to wait until the fall 2014 release. But now you've gone a year without an iPad.

No one knows when the Air 2 will be released, all you can do is roll the dice and take your chances.

Its always best to assume what ever gadget you buy is outdated shortly after you buy it.