Buy an iPad or wait for wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rei87, May 27, 2010.

1. rei87 macrumors newbie

rei87

I really want a an iPad now, but then i get hesitant when I think about the 2nd gen iPad, so my wauestion is this:

Aside from a webcam, what other hardware and software features/additions will a 2nd generation iPad have that the iPhone OS 4.0 won't bring to the 1st gen iPad?

2. iserian macrumors 6502

IMO - wait until they have the 400GB SSD's as an option.

3. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Well, I know that I'm waiting until at least gen 2. I suggest the same to anyone willing to take my advice.

4. Phycoduck macrumors regular

Phycoduck

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm also a die-hard apple fan, but i cant figure out what the ipad does which my Macbook and Iphone doesn't.

The cost is a biggy too, £700 is for the midd range IPad... time you get accessory's you could pay just short of £50 of a Macbook White.

Come next year with better screen, Camera, better developed software... you will be paying £700 again.

Painful to do.. but good things come to thoughs who wait.

Duck.

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

You could always buy the one now and sell it a week or two before the next one comes out. That is what i have been doing with my iPhones. There will always be improvements with each new model. Apple things keep their value really well so as long as you don't drop it and scratch it badly you should get a healthy return on it.

6. chaslam macrumors regular

Time after time I hear people saying "I will wait for the next one". Well what are you going to do when the next one comes out? Wait for the one after that? With apple, you will constantly be waiting. My advice, unless something is imminent, like within 2 months or so, and you want it, just go for it. I mean this one has literally come out today across the world, and people are already talking about waiting a year for the next one! It's crazy. Whatever you get, whenever you get it, its going to be outdated at some point and taken over, so in my eyes it doesn't really matter. Also, that's the whole point of the device, to be between a smartphone and a laptop. It doesn't really do anything that either of those things don't, it just does the things they both do exceptionally well. Chances are if this iPad isn't right for you, nor will the next one with a slightly larger memory, or built in camera.

7. HawkEye40 macrumors member

Exactly, all these people who wait for next gen iPads, you could buy one now, keep it in good condition, sell it at the time of the revision for what, £100 loss maybe? New iPad costs you £100. If the revision warrants an upgrade of course.

8. crut macrumors regular

And that advice is ....?

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Buy it now, enjoy it now, or forever wait for the 'next version'.

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Please don't buy an Ipad.

Good things also come to those who buy things they want when they want them.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

My motto is life is too short. There is always something better around the corner.

Why wait? Get the iPad. Enjoy it now and above all, have fun.

Luckily, most Apple products have an excellent re-sale value. If you buy the iPad now, your basically making an investment on the next one.

12. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

To wait. I thought that was rather obvious. haha.

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Undoubtedly there will be faster processors. Probably a camera at some point. But the major improvements to the iPad are much more likely to be software related. You will get those if you buy now. Since iPhone OS 4.0 will be released in June for the phone and the touch, but not until the Fall for the iPad, I'm thinking Apple has more in mind than they announced last month.

It never hurts to wait if you don't mind waiting. If you want it now, buy it now.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I was in the same boat up until three weeks ago. Once I got one, I haven't looked back. This thing is awesome.

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Has Apple stated that in the near future that this will be a available?

16. tomashi macrumors regular

you should totally wait, don't waste your money now and regret later. the next one will be way better and faster with a better display any everything, it will be winrar

17. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Just buy the thing. Mine came yesterday and I'm well pleased with it. Still not really sure what I'll use it for but everybody I've talked to wants a go on it.

Except the TNT driver who said that if he ever saw an iPad again it would be too soon. He had to deliver 250 yesterday :)

18. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

that's what i do. i have had every iPhone. I just jailbreak and sell for more than what I am going to pay for the new one anyway. I have had similar reservations about waiting for 2nd gen. But screw it. I am getting 64GB 3G, going to pay through the nose for it... and I will again when the next one comes out. It's only money and you only live once.

19. crut macrumors regular

Are you new here?

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Well said.

21. err404 macrumors 68020

If you want the device, then now is a good time to buy one. Apple will probably update the iPad once a year (like the iphone/ipod). Right now you will likely have a full year before an update.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

2nd generation? That model is going to suck compared to the 3rd gen. Then again by the time the 4th gen comes out the 3rd gen will be a joke. Hey, welcome to technology where waiting for a better model means waiting in perpetuity. As LBJ crudely said, you gotta sh!* or get off the pot.

23. Phycoduck macrumors regular

Phycoduck

What do you use it for?

Next year the Ipad will be so cool, apple always roll these things out slowly.