Buy an iPad2? - HD/PRO/4G coming soon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skywalkerluke, Sep 18, 2011.

1. skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 this week, I'm kinda worried they will be releasing an iPad2 "Pro/HD/4G" before Xmas though. At Target stores some of the iPad2 WiFi + 3G units are "Discontinued"(Meaning when the store sells out of what they have in-stock, they will not get more in of that model). I don't know if this is due to they may be coming out with iPad2 WiFi + 4G or If they will be putting out an iPad with sprint or if Target is just not selling many of that unit and does not want to carry it anymore.

Also, I'm wondering do you think I will hate myself for not waiting till march 2012 to get an iPad3 with a Retina display? I heard that there could be a problem with getting A6 chips and the Retina display and it may be pushed to summer/fall for iPad3.

Thank You :)

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

No one knows. See the buyer's guide for rumors and advice. And, as always, buy it if you need it now. Wait if you don't.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

OR you can buy the iPad 2 now and sell it before the release is imminent if you don't mind. Otherwise, like others said, get it now if you need one, and wait if you don't. I'm personally waiting until iPad 3 is out because I'm a student and will only use it for textbooks/essays.

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Most people expect spring 2012. So expect to wait 7 or so months.

5. urbanj macrumors regular

I just got an iPad 2 last week. The way I see it is I have at the very least 6 months of usage before I get my hands on the 3. Cause even when it's released I'm not one to go all mental and wait to get one. I value my time more than that. So I'm ok to wait a couple months until the frenzy dies down.

IMO if you want one just buy one now. :)

6. darngooddesign, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

How can we know how easily you hate yourself?

7. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I don't mean this in a rude way, but I always laugh when I see this response, particularly about iPads/iPods, etc. How many people really "need" an iPad? :)

BTW, I recently asked the same question as the OP and I'm still thinking about it (while I type this on my netbook).

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I replaced need with want without resorting to a snarky comment.

9. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

? ? I honestly was only joking, but I'm not sure I understand your comment as my reply wasn't addressed to your response.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Given that none of the competition is selling well, Apple is in no hurry to get an iPad3 out. Apple pretty much owns the tablet market.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I was commenting on your post. Its obvious that in most cases you want, but don't need, an iPad. I was able to do so without making a snarky comment on the matter. Its just more polite that way.

12. urbanj macrumors regular

pretty sure bringing up the way the others post negates any politeness in your attempt to be polite.

hey everyone look at me. I'm better than you. :cool:

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm ironic. ;)

14. skywalkerluke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's replays. I'm planning on doing a lot of reading on the iPad, so I figured the Retina display may be worth waiting for. I did go look at the galaxy tab 10.1 and noticed text is a little sharper (I'm not a big android fan though and I don't like the feel of the tablet in my hands.)

I think I might just buy an iPad2, I know I will be happy with it.

If apple is going to put out a new iPad this year my guess is it will be 4G upgrade only. I'm guessing that is the why Target would be listing the WiFi + 3G iPad2 as discontinued and not the iPad2 WiFi as well.

15. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

At this point, you would be silly to buy an iPad 2.

At least wait until the next Apple event and see if they mention a new iPad.

You could end up paying iPad 3 money for an iPad 2.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

There's no chance of a new iPad this year - that would be "silly."

17. skywalkerluke thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been waiting for Apple event, but it seems like they keep putting it off! :mad:

I have a feeling they will put out a 4G Tablet this year. The iOS 5 points to 4G support. After reading more online I don't think they would put out an iPad3 this year. They don't have enough A6 chips yet and they don't have enough Retina displays.

its down to deciding to get the ipad2 or wait and tell myself it will be worth the wait for the Retina display and A6. March/April is only 6 months away... :(