Buy an iPhone? 32gig may come soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Robbadore64, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I'm on the fence about buying an iPhone in a couple weeks and was wanting to get some opinions.

1) Sprint contract ended in July so I'm good there.
    2) Closing on a house Sept 4th so I'll be free to buy an iPhone anytime after that.

My issue is this, does anyone think we'll be seeing a 32 gig iPhone anytime soon? I know the buyers guide says to buy now but we haven't had a capacity upgrade since early February. Basically whenever they increase iPod capacities, the iPhone follows suite. I think everyone everyone can agree we'll be seeing something coming with the iPods real soon.

Should I wait and see what happens in September, or just pull the trigger Sept 5th?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is no capacity update on the horizon. If Apple had wanted to do it, they would have done it in July. There may be a capacity update in January, so don't worry about.

TEG

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It took 5 months for the original iPhone to go from 8GB to 16GB. With the sales doing well and the negative PR of quickly upgrading the original iPhone, I think it will take a few months until the iPhone is bumped to 32GB.

Buy it in Sept, if you need it. If you don't be prepared to wait.

I wanted a 32GB, but only needed a 16GB, so I got mine.

4. Robbadore64 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I guess I'm just trying to see what the new iPod Touch will have to offer other than a bumped up OS version and a slightly redesigned shell. I was really thinking they might up them to 64 gig (2 chips) to actually be offering something "new", meaning the iPhone could get the 1 32 gig chip.

The fact they updated iPhones in July doesn't concern me since they were rolling out basically a new iPhone. Increasing capacity is only natural evolution and they'd obviously charge another $100 or two.

Argh. Thanks for the opinions!