Buy an iphone 3gs then use my razr sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by M3rc, Nov 13, 2009.

1. M3rc macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Sorry if im asking a redundant question i guess i wasnt putting the right fields in search.

Im wanting to get an iphone. Without a contract :)

Doing this im going to buy a iphone 3gs then unlock and jailbreak.

can i just grab my sim from my razr and use it????

Im a bit worried about if i bought an iphone as well say I get one and it works with the razr sim card.

Is there any way possible that at&t can shut my service down?

I mean. When i upgrade to new versions of the software of course i will have to re-unlock it so i can make calls and what not but as long as i have it un-locked for the current os version i can keep that version for as long as i want by just declining the update on itunes every time it asks correct?

So if you can tell me. By buying an iphone 3gs will i have any problems or ""Experiance""" any problems later on by not being able to make calls, text, etc...

Thanks so much to everyone who replies. I really appreciate these forums and what people do here.

M3rc

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

If you're going to use it on AT&T, there is no need to unlock it.
    You will need to jailbreak it to get past activation.

The SIM from your RAZR "may" work. Depends on how old it is.
    It doesn't really matter though as AT&T will know you have an iPhone the moment it registers with a tower.

Just drop your SIM in the iPhone (provided it's compatible and the iPhone is activated) and then go check you account online.
    They know. ;)

They won't shut down your service, but they may tack a data plan on your account if you don't already have one.

3. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

no sir...no data plan that's the whole reason behind me trying to get an unlocked/jailbroken one so i dont have to pay that 99.99 plan :( Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Rzr v3xx bout 2-2 and half years old :(

Any other thought opinions??

Thanks,
    M3rc

4. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Another option would be to buy the iphone from at and t. Then do an early cancellation fee? Keep the phone and use my old razr sim card???

5. KingHuds macrumors 6502

3G and 3GS both require data plans on AT&T. No way around it really, unless you can spoof your iPhone as some other phone.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If the service on your razor sim is AT&T you can simply put the sim in the 3GS and it will activate the phone with no problems. If it's not an AT&T sim, it would need to be activated.

I'm using an AT&T Gophone sim in one of my iPhones and it activates it just as if it was the original sim but it will only work with an AT&T sim.

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

8. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

If you cannot get around the data plan then whats the point of buying a phone from someone without a contract i assumed that was the whole point of getting a
    iphone was so you didnt have to pay for the 30 dollar data plan. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. You guys are calling the data plan, the plan that gives you internet.

Taken from at&t

I mean what is the actual difference here then? If they tac on a data plan as soon as they see you have an iphone your not locked in for the contract period? I dont understand.

My whole deal here is being able to use my contract that i have with my Razr its family talk with unlimited texting. I had hoped that i could get the iphone and use the razr sim and keep paying the fee for family talk and texting not a extra data plan

Thanks again guys i appreciate your help and thoughts.

9. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

So did they add an iphone """"30 dollar data plan""""" to your contract.

Cause i have a razr with a contract now that has unlimited texting and talk but no data plan.

30 dollars a month is the reason i wanted to buy one from someone without a contract. If you do the math.

you will be paying for your phone service plus the 720 dollars in two years for a 2 year contract with the data plan

Thanks all

10. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried this before?

1. Get an old phone compatible with AT&T or Cingular. You should have one considering you just got an iPhone or planning to get one. If you don’t have an AT&T phone, just call your previous service provider to unlock your previous phone, takes a few minutes
    2. After purchasing the iPhone and it’s service plan, call AT&T customer service, or you can chat with them through their website.
    3. Tell them you just got iPhone but you’re thinking of returning the phone but want to keep the voice plan since you’ll be using a different phone (you’re allowed to return the phone but keep the service). Make sure to tell them to get rid of the data since you’re no longer using an iPhone.
    4. If you’ve already had the iPhone for a few months then just tell them you’re no longer planning to use it so you don’t need the data plan but would like to keep the service on a basic service.
    5. The rep will ask you for the serial number of your other phone. Give them that.
    6. They’ll then ask you to take the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it into the other phone.
    7. Once you see service is working, ask them to block out the Internet service (WAP) completely. This will come in handy later.
    8. After you’re done hang up and switch the SIM card back to the iPhone.
    9. On the top right hand corner you should no longer see the 3G data sign, which means you no longer have data service.
    10. The reason for asking to completely block out Internet service (WAP) is so that if you accidentally hit the Safari browser you don’t get charged per kilobyte, which can get expensive.
    11. Now with wi-fi you can access the Internet. There are some people who believe you get charged for using wi-fi, YOU DON’T. If the wi-fi is free, ATT cannot charge you for that.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No. If you use a GoPhone sim in the iPhone, you don't need a data plan and they won't add one on either. You will be charged for using data if you do though.

I have a $19.99 unlimited data plan added onto my GoPhone Pick Your Plan service.

Also, as of firmware 3.0+, the iPhone will automatically block non official iPhone sims from accessing data unless you use a hacked carrier file to edit the APN.

12. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang, I have the at&t 3g card :mad: so i guess they will put a data plan on there for sure?

My whole reason of getting a contract-less iphone is so i dont have to pay the 30 dollar data plan. I can just use wi-fi there are tons of spots around me and my workplace

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They won't add a data plan. I have one because they offered it to me by an SMS message in September and I called them to get it added on.

14. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Are kinghuds and skye talking about something different then?

I dont understand

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Put the razor sim in your iPhone and don't worry about a data plan. AT&T may send you an SMS saying that you are using an unapproved sim in the iPhone and that you need to call to add the right plan on. They won't add a data plan on. Just do it and quit worrying about it already.

16. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but i cant help but worry paying 600 for a phone and then getting screwed with a data plan i wish the other guys would respond

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you buy the phone from AT&T or Apple, they will require a data plan to be used on the phone. You will have to buy it from like eBay or Craigslist or here on this forum to just pop in your sim.

18. M3rc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah man thats what i been trying to ask the whole time.

I have a phone that im ready to buy from a guy off craigslist in my area and im just waiting to give him the cash.

Ill just buy the phone and pop in the sim then continue like normal without an extra 30 dollars a month :D

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Great, you'll be ok doing that then.

I have even used a Blackberry sim in an iPhone before and they never made me change plans. All they did was send me an SMS asking me to get the right iPhone plan. After six months, they never did a thing.