Buy an iphone in america

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perry245, Jul 28, 2011.

1. perry245 macrumors member

Hi i am in the uk and going to be going to america at the end of september, if the new iphone does get release would i just be able to buy the phone and would it work ok in the uk?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You would be able to if that were the case, and if you bought the unlocked model it would be full retail instead of a subsidized price. If it's Unlocked it should work on the UK's GSM networks as long as you have a microsim and a contract.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you buy the phone here, it will be locked to AT&T. Unless Apple offers the new iPhone's unlocked as well.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They now sell the iPhone 4 unlocked in the USA so you'll have to hope they will do the same with the new iPhone.

Managing to find one in stock anywhere during the first few weeks on sale is the hard part. :D

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

IIRC, they don't usually offer unlocked models during launch. I wouldn't count on being able to buy one you could use in the UK.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The unlocked iPhone 4 was available from day one in the UK.

7. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Nobody knows that, we just now got GSM unlocked here. For all you know they will be unlocked on day one.

Wait for announcement would be best bet.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Correct, but we can look at how they have handled it in the past. The OP would be best to assume the worst but hope for the best.

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I'll be in Montreal from next week to the end of August and then New York from the beginning to near end of September and plan on doing the same if the iPhone 5 is released. From what I gather it may be sold sim free and if it is it'll work perfectly in the UK however the warranty will over cover the device in the US so if you have any problems you'll have to get it sorted there. That isn't a big problem for me as I have friends and some family over there so I could just send it to them to get replaced and it'll probably be like £100 cheaper so I'm all for it.

10. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Only thing is if the iPhone sells well chances of you not preordering and walking in to get one are probably slim.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

By "sim free" do you mean unlocked? It's a big assumption to believe this will be the case @ launch. I'd put my $$ betting against it.

^^THIS^^

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

In theory, yes. The iPhone will work on your UK carrier.

I highly doubt that it will be locked to anyone seeing as how the exclusivity contract has now expired. It wouldn't make any sense for them to lock it to AT&T now that they don't have to.

SIM-free is another term for unlocked, meaning that you don't have to purchase the phone with a SIM (a contract) to get it.

Also, why do you think they won't be selling unlocked models at launch? Apple no longer has a contract with AT&T for exclusive rights to carrying the iPhone so it wouldn't make much sense for them to lock it to a carrier now that they don't have to.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because the other carrier is CDMA and AT&T locks every other GSM phone they sell.