Buy an iPhone now or wait for update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoingGreen2Day, Jan 20, 2009.

1. GoingGreen2Day macrumors newbie

My contract with Verizon recently ended and I'm thinking about getting an iPhone since I wasn't a fan of the BB Storm when I used it. I'm not sure if I should hold for a while and wait for an upgrade or buy now. Is the next update rumored to have any big changes other than more storage?

Thanks for the advice.

2. marine610610 macrumors regular

If you don't NEED an iPhone now id just wait. There is nothing wrong with the 3G iPhone itself, its all personal preference since nobody here knows when the new one will be out.

3. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

It doesn't matter. You can buy the next generation but they will have the following one after that one out the next week. If your going to live cutting edge don't be surprised if you bleed a little.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Buy now otherwise you will always be waiting for the next product Apple upgrades. Apple doesn't wait long enough to release new stuff, so no matter what you buy from them becomes outdated early. I faced this issue myself and decided to just go for it now when my Verizon contract ended.

5. Cakester macrumors regular

Your hardware will be one upped once a year, period.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would wait until the Pre comes out or another Android phone comes out. The will be a lot of exciting phones, including the new iPhone, coming out over the next 6 months. If you're worried about Sprint, don't be. They're actually fine and get a bad rap for no reason. However, if you don't care about any of these other phones (that is, you have tried the iPhone and totally love it), then get an iPhone now.

7. SmoothCaller macrumors newbie

If you need to ask, perhaps you shouldn't get an iphone

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, most analysts / rumor sites predict that they'll release the next version at WWDC or perhaps earlier. You could always buy the iPhone 3G now, and then when it comes time to upgrade, unlock and sell it - this is what I do all the time. Keeps the incremental cost of moving to the next version somewhat low. Heck, sometimes it's profitable! (i.e. selling my unlocked iPhone for $400 and buying an iPhone 3G for $200)...