Buy an iPhone, Without using the Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iChrisG, Sep 19, 2009.

1. iChrisG macrumors member

Hello all!

So I'm thinking of possibly purchasing an iPhone in November, when my contract ends. I'm still not sure though if I am switching to AT&T. Is it possible to buy an iPhone, and only use it like an iPod Touch? Thanks!

2. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Can you first answer the extremely obvious question of why not to buy an iPod Touch instead?

3. tryppy macrumors member

I would think the extremely obvious answer would be that if he ever decided to use it as a phone, he wouldn't have a touch AND have to buy an iphone. ;)

Might as well have the same device with the capability of using it as a phone in the future.

Though I'm sorry, I do not know if you can purchase one without activating it. Unless bought from another source perhaps

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you purchae the iPhone for the AT&T subsidized price ($99 for the 3G, $199 or $299 for the 3GS), they will require you to sign an AT&T contract in-store, as well as activate your iPhone in-store. So when you leave, you'll have an iPhone that's working on AT&T.

If you pay the full-price for an iPhone ($599/$699), then they won't make you sign a contract or activate in-store. However, you wont' be able to use your iPhone at all, for anything, until you activate it (which normally requires that you sign up for AT&T service). There are ways you can hack the activation to get around that, though.

5. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

unless you feel like going pirate on the phone :D and paying ($599/$699)

of corse there are the pros and cons so if you get the hint then research first before jumping in uncharted waters.

6. qnc macrumors member

Yes it is possible. If you get a 3gs you have to make sure that there is an available jailbreak method for you. If you buy a 3G or original then you are Ok.

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

i guess your best case right now is to buy an iphone of craigslist, which is what i did