buy an unlocked iPhone 4S before november?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aldorande, Oct 10, 2011.

1. aldorande macrumors member

I am travelling over to the US at the end of october and I was hoping to buy my 4S there as the exchange rate is very good for Europeans.

But I went on Apple website and saw that the unlocked versions are only coming in November. :(

Do you have any idea on how to work around that?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Buy from a country that sells unlocked phones now... I hear Canada does. Not sure if the the UK, Germany or France do.

3. sleek881 macrumors regular

sleek881

Apple Australia is selling unlocked iPhone 4S

4. omnipotent*fart macrumors newbie

Apple UK are selling unlocked iPhones.

I'd advise waiting though - the iPhone 4S 16GB is £500 or so here, which is about $780 currently. You'll possibly get the VAT off your UK purchase (you need to keep it sealed with the receipt), but it's a nightmare getting it back at the airport. That'll take 20% off the price, but it's still cheaper in the States. The iPhone 4 was at least 25% cheaper your side of the pond.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You won't find an unlocked 4S in the US before November.
    Go to Canada.

6. aldorande thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks! That looks like a great idea.
    Do you know how I can get to Canada from NYC and if they will let me in (I am french) ? :) :) :)

I will be in NYC for one week (20 to 27th)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Car, bus, or plane most likely.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Drive through NY and cross at Niagra Falls. Beautiful place to visit. Just bring your passport. They will let anyone in...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It would be a nice trip and it's not too far.

10. aldorande thread starter macrumors member

I didn't have time to go to Canada to buy it.
    So I'll probably ask my buddy in the USA to post it to me. I need to wait November to order it.

11. Sniv macrumors member

I am going to US (from Europe) in November and I am very much thinking of buying an unlocked iPhone there.

Maybe these are stupid questions, but I have never bought any electronic devices in US before.

But how about warranty? And can it work just as well as if I bought one in Europe? There should not be any problems, right?

12. aldorande thread starter macrumors member

It's been pointed out to me by several people working in Apple Cork that you won't be able to get a US-bought phone replaced or repaired in Europe, i.e. for any issue, you'd need to send it back to the US. (By the way - this is a new rule for the 4S.)

Moreover I realize now that there may be some tax to be added.

This iPhone 4S page (Canada) reads that prices for an unlocked unit start at $649. Logically, this is the off-contract price for the 16GB version. The 32GB and 64GB versions will probably cost $749 and $849, respectively. Expensive, I know.

So with tax included, iPhone 4s would cost 694$ in Utah (this corresponds to 508 EUR today). In Europe, the official price can vary from 579 EUR to 629 EUR. Here is some information about the State Sales-Tax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

This is so annoying! :(
    why can't the US just display the correct price in shops?

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Can you find a printed reference on iPhone 4S service requirements that state you have to send it back to the US? We are about to purchase several dozen phones and this would likely change our strategy.

I've never heard of this, and so far the local Apple dealers have not heard it either - though they do not have any phones in stock yet.

14. aldorande thread starter macrumors member

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt