Buy and sell on Ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LWP777, Sep 20, 2010.

1. LWP777 Suspended

I'm currently using a 3gs and love it. I don't really want the iPhone 4. I'm eligible for an upgrade so it would cost me $299 for a 32gb. It looks like they sell for around $800 on eBay.

Is there any downside to purchasing and then selling on eBay besides resetting my contract? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

People do this all the time. The only con is signing a new 2 year contract but being stuck with the same device.

If you don't mind keeping your current phone, there's nothing wrong with making a profit from you unused upgrade.

3. iHalo macrumors regular

You'd pay an early termination fee for the end of your contract of a lovely $325. Not to mention you'd use your upgrade. And possibly still have to pay for the first month? So factor in sales tax, ebay's portion of the pie, and the early termination fee, not really worth it.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

There is no ETF. He'll be using the sim in his current 3GS.

5. LWP777 thread starter Suspended

Why would I pay an ETF? I would still keep my service with my current 3gs -- I just wouldn't activate the iPhone 4. I would sell it on eBay.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You would have to activate the iPhone 4 before selling. I believe the sim is connected to the purchasers account initially. After activating the first time, you can remove the sim and you're account will no longer be tied to the device.

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

[​IMG]

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What he said+1
    I know people that have been with AT&T for 6-7 years off contract but never buy subsidized phones with a 2 year agreement. They just stay with AT&T and get cellphones full price. Maybe affraid of the commitment but if you're not going to be switching mind as well use the discounts.

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I did that with the other 2 lines on my account...they dont care about fancy phones and dont want to pay for a data plan

so I upgraded and got 2 iPhone 4s...sold them on craigslist for a total of $1400...easy $1000 profit....thanks Apple

and I called ATT a week later and they said termination fees on those lines were only $150 if i did want to cancel

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They were mistaken.
    Termination fee on the iphone 4's is $325
    I know there was a glitch in the AT&T system still displaying the old ETF price but what they told you is not really the case.
    On June 1 the new AT&T ETF went into effect.