Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Hello All,

I have been a very happy Apple TV (160gb) user ever since it was released. It was first set up in my condo as the center of my entertainment system.

My wife and I just moved into a new house and I have set the Apple TV up in our living room and it plays host to a large collection of my DVD collection from Handbrake rips, etc.

We are starting the process of finishing our basement and that process may be finished within the next 3 or 4 months. I plan on using several video sources in the basement as part of the home theater, and some sort of device that can access networked material is in my plan.

My question is this: should I buy another Apple TV (probably the 40gb) and plan to use it in the basement or should I wait it out for a possibly new Apple TV release this year?

nickhj

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
I'm having the same thoughts at present. Would like another ATV for the bedroom and would also go for the 40mb. I was hoping Macworld would have given us some guidance but alas not.

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Go for it!!

I currently have 3 Apple TVs (family room, living room, bedroom), and one airport express for the speakers on the deck. The setup is flawless and being able to access all my media anywhere in the house is awesome. Not to mention I can rent movies anywhere too. And with the airtunes added bonus I can play music to all of them at the same time during a party all controlled by my iPhone. Incredible setup. I strongly recommend getting another one.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
at this point, i'll probably be buying a second for the upstairs tv. I dont think anythings coming down the pike update wise, any time soon.

Tramjaw

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Chicago
if you were planning on getting it today, why not just wait?
it sounds like you have some time before you'd need it.
either way you probably can't go wrong.
plus you could save some money and get one refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.