Buy another iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr8fl4295, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gr8fl4295 macrumors member

I bought an iPhone 4 through AT&T pre-order. Didn't open it, didn't activate it. Sold it cuz I needed some fast cash. Now I want to buy one again. Is this possible? At the same $199 price? At AT&T or Apple?
    I'm still using my old 3G, so technically I haven't upgraded.

Suggestions??

Thanks.

2. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Login to the AT&T website and check your upgrade eligibility on your account.

If you're still eligible for discount pricing ($199/$299) then you're all set.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

I'm going to say no you can't because AT&T already offered you a deep discount once. They won't do it again for at least another year, possibly 2 years.

Hope you enjoyed your fast cash

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure, but you will have to purchase on another line since your current line now has a two-year service commitment and you are also subject to the new $325 ETF if you cancel your current line.

So why do you think that AT&T would give you another subsidy? :mad:

Dave

5. coelacanth macrumors 6502

With the same line? nope, coz you already got the discount and renewed your contract. You have another line with current eligibility or willing to get a new line, then sure.

6. applephysci macrumors regular

Buy one again for some more fast cash?

7. gr8fl4295 thread starter macrumors member

I do have another line, my wife's line, under my account.
    I just set that up in February. So I believe it's not eligible for upgrade price.
    :(

8. stphnman20 macrumors regular

You already use it up.. If you want to buy another one, your going to have to pay full price.

9. trixter11 macrumors newbie

if you never activated then you might still have your upgrade. check your line for eligibility, and you might be able to order another phone for the subsidized price ;)

10. Krayd2k macrumors member

In that case I'll order phones without activating them so I can get them for sub prize.. Uh no he won't get the sub prize he is screwed

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol... do people really think they can outsmart these companies?

your eligibility changes as soon as the order is put through. they aren't stupid.. c'mon.

12. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

If this was the case people would be able to abuse it and make a hell of alot of money.

13. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Ok, to clarify it for people who don't understand this.

Once you get a new phone from the AT&T store, in this case the iPhone 4, at the discounted rate you see ($199 or $299- assuming it's an iPhone 4) that's what you'll pay for your upgrade. This means, you have used your upgrade and you can't use it again until you are next eligible (probably a year or two from now) if you buy the phone.

In this case, the OP has used his upgrade in order to get the iPhone 4 at $199 (16GB) because HE paid for it at AT&T, he is the ORIGINAL BUYER. It DOES NOT MATTER if you keep it in the box, untouched, and never turned on, and then go sell it to someone else to make some "fat cash".

Now that you've done your little business deal, and made a chunk of change that should be the end of it until next year- when you're again eligible for an upgrade, going back to get the phone you sold for cash is pointless because you've already used your upgrade and the price for an early upgrade is out of the roof ($399 for 16GB $499 for 32GB- Thanks Dave).

If that isn't clear enough...
    God help us

Edit: And technically you have used the upgrade. What they mean by "upgrade" is get a new phone at a discounted rate. In this case you did, you just ended up selling it earlier than most do. Just because you aren't using an upgraded phone doesn't mean you haven't used your upgrade. Hell, someone can go from a 3GS to a new flip phone and that would still be considered an upgrade.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

199 and 299 but right on otherwise. Nice.

15. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

I know that's the price you pay when you're eligible for an upgrade, but what if you want to upgrade early? As in, your contract isn't over yet. I thought it was $299 for the 16GB and $399 for the 32GB.

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

When you placed the pre-order, you entered into a legal binding contract. You agreed to pay for two years of service using the iPhone they sold you at a discounted price. They are waiting for you to activate the phone, as you promised to do. If you don't which seems to be the case since you sold it, then you owe them for the difference in price. You also owe well over $300 in early termination fees. Since you've violated the contact they will likely refuse to extend any discounts to you in the future.*

17. ScKcBc macrumors regular

its 1 phone per line, per month. So not only will you pay $599 plus tax for the next one, but you can't even buy it until 30 days after the last one you purchased. I hope you sold it for more then $650, otherwise you'll end up losing $ buying another one.

18. trixter11 macrumors newbie

well guess what, uh yes? after i ordered my iphone 4 the next day i went on apple's site and i still had an upgrade so i went and ordered another one. got the first one, and the second one was just shipped today. i was charged subsidized for both :p

19. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

You're not very smart :rolleyes:

20. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Nope, early upgrade price is + $200 for each price point.

So $199 + $200 = $399 16 GB iPhone 4 or $299 + $200 = $499 32 GB iPhone 4.

Dave

21. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

you think they won't catch it? expect more charges to come. i wasn't charged for my phone until 2 days after I had it. Just cuz it shipped doesn't mean they won't catch it and fix it :p

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Upgrades happen when you order the new phone. When placing the order you are extending your contract.

They are NOT contingent on activation. This is why "Upgrade Swaps" work.

23. trixter11 macrumors newbie

well let me tell you, that same hole was in at&t's system back when the 3G came out. and i was able to order multiple phones with the subsidized price, so i'll take my chances :D

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Wrong.

Try reading the terms & conditions. Or applying common sense. Why would the carrier be willing to sell you a phone at a heavily discounted price & get nothing in return ? !

You fail to understand what an upgrade swap is.

Line A is entitled to an upgrade. Line B is not. Both lines belong to the same account. User A orders the phone that user B wants. When the new phone arrives, instead of activating it on line A, it's given to user B, who swaps phones with user A. User B's old phone is activated on user A's line. The new phone is activated on user B's line. Thus the upgrade _IS_ contingent on activating the new phone.

It's simple really