buy app now, then upgrade - pay again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

apologies if this has been covered.

so you buy some apps when the store opens in few weeks. later in the summer you decide to get the 3G phone. can you install your purchased apps on the new phone, or must you pay again ?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Very good question, don't think anyone will have an answer for you though... hopefully apps won't have to be repurchased when getting a new iPhone.

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I guess it would work in a similar way to buying games for your ipod.

4. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

would work via your account Im sure and can be licensed to X iphones like you get 5 transactions without calling for support.

Its based on your account

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Should hopefully work the same way all devices on iTunes work. All devices that are setup to sync with your iTunes library will have the ability to download. Example: if you have a Touch and an iPhone, you should be able to put app on both. In your scenario, if you sync new iPhone with iTunes, you should have no problems.

No one will know for sure until App Store is out, but I think Apple will stick with the same model. The only change I could think of would be if they force it to work like rented movies. It can only be on one device at a time.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This would be my guess.

I have 3 iPods at home that are all synced to one computer. I can put anything I own (even with iTunes DRM) on all 3 devices. Games, music, movies...whatever.

I can't imagine they'd do something drastically different for iPhone apps since this method seems to work out well for everyone involved.