Buy Apple Care for 2 x 2018 MBP?

coghlan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Canada
We got our twin sons each a 13" MBP last March, so we have another few weeks to decide on purchasing Apple Care.

As I recall, the main issue with these products was the keyboard. Should we fork out 2 x $2xx for Apple Care? No issues to-date with these computers.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Heck yeah. I mean, ok... if you had like $32,000,000 in the bank and you're doing very well financially and replacing a MBP is super easy, then ok, maybe you don't have to get AppleCare+.... but for the rest of us (myself included) yeah, get AppleCare+. Any accident, any keyboard issue, whatever will result in a better Apple Store experience, longer warranty time, and less cost.

My wife and I got 2017 MBP 13' each and we both got AppleCare+. I hope to never use it, but it is really nice to have that peace of mind, plus, it took me years of saving up to afford them. :p

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Am I wrong in saying that you only have 60 days from purchase for AC+?
I believe the OP is talking about regular Apple Care (non-plus) at the cost and time frame (up to 1 year after purchase) ? I would still get it. Aside from the keyboard issues, I don't think we know the extent of the "flexgate" cable issue yet either. I would prefer the peace of mind myself.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I believe the OP is talking about regular Apple Care (non-plus) at the cost and time frame (up to 1 year after purchase) ? I would still get it. Aside from the keyboard issues, I don't think we know the extent of the "flexgate" cable issue yet either. I would prefer the peace of mind myself.
Ahh. I was unaware that you could still get the "non plus" version.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ahh. I was unaware that you could still get the "non plus" version.
I understand that the non-plus can still be purchased if you call Apple directly within that 1 year from purchase time frame.

Also, has Apple Care+ expanded to Canada? I know it was only available in US and Japan at one point. Not sure if that has been expanded.

But either way, people have still been reporting that they have been able to purchase non-plus on the forums even recently.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
1 year coverage does and it can be extended during that 1 year by purchasing the additional coverage
Ah how interesting. I know when I got our MBPs they said we had 1 year and getting Applecare+ would add another two years.

Here's from the Services and Support Coverage site - Apple for my MBP:

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 8.47.49 AM.png

Bought this MBP almost 10 months ago.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
We got our twin sons each a 13" MBP last March, so we have another few weeks to decide on purchasing Apple Care.

As I recall, the main issue with these products was the keyboard. Should we fork out 2 x $2xx for Apple Care? No issues to-date with these computers.
Kids and very high-end expensive to repair Macs. 1 +1 = damage or defect will happen sooner or later.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ah how interesting. I know when I got our MBPs they said we had 1 year and getting Applecare+ would add another two years.

Here's from the Services and Support Coverage site - Apple for my MBP:

View attachment 823364

Bought this MBP almost 10 months ago.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

The two (Apple Care and AC+) are the same in terms of warranty coverage and terms, other than the addition of the two incidents of accidental damage that are the "Plus." Understandably Apple wants to limit their liability for accidental damage claims so restricts it to 60 days after purchase for Plus.

I am actually surprised that they don't require you to bring it in for inspection if not purchased when new, but I suppose that would limit options for customers who don't have an Apple store nearby.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
The two (Apple Care and AC+) are the same in terms of warranty coverage and terms, other than the addition of the two incidents of accidental damage that are the "Plus." Understandably Apple wants to limit their liability for accidental damage claims so restricts it to 60 days after purchase for Plus.

I am actually surprised that they don't require you to bring it in for inspection if not purchased when new, but I suppose that would limit options for customers who don't have an Apple store nearby.
Oh yeah, we purchased it at the store when we picked them up. Took quite some time to order them online, then on the day we picked them up we ordered AppleCare+ in store.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Oh yeah, we purchased it at the store when we picked them up. Took quite some time to order them online, then on the day we picked them up we ordered AppleCare+ in store.
Always the better bet. I believe if you purchase Apple Care+ afterward you have to do an online diagnostic? Easy enough to pass if it is physical damage due to a drop, but the machine is otherwise working well. But if you spilled coffee into it like that other poor user in another active thread, it isn't likely to pass before being serviced

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Always the better bet. I believe if you purchase Apple Care+ afterward you have to do an online diagnostic? Easy enough to pass if it is physical damage due to a drop, but the machine is otherwise working well. But if you spilled coffee into it like that other poor user in another active thread, it isn't likely to pass before being serviced
I purchased mine online, it took them a couple of hours to approve it but I personally didn't run any diagnostics or anything. Maybe they did something in the background.
Which is very interesting, provided I didn't even get it from an Apple Store.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I purchased mine online, it took them a couple of hours to approve it but I personally didn't run any diagnostics or anything. Maybe they did something in the background.
Which is very interesting, provided I didn't even get it from an Apple Store.
That is interesting. I thought they generally did a diagnostic to ensure that you aren’t purchasing it solely for the purpose of making a warranty claim. I am actually surprised that they don’t have a wait period as well between purchase and a claim.

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Montreal, Canada
That is interesting. I thought they generally did a diagnostic to ensure that you aren’t purchasing it solely for the purpose of making a warranty claim. I am actually surprised that they don’t have a wait period as well between purchase and a claim.
Yeah, it's interesting. I actually want to contact Apple just to check whether I should do something. I mean, when I check warranty status under checkcoverage.apple.com it states that AppleCare is active, but I don't want Apple to tell me that I didn't do something I was supposed to do if I ever need to use AppleCare.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
When you enter your serial number at https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and enter your serial number you should see the correct model and serial number and get 4 check marks for ....

Valid Purchase Date
A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

Telephone Technical Support: Active
Your product is eligible for telephone technical support under an AppleCare product.
More about AppleCare productsopens in a new window

Contact Apple Support

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active (limits apply)
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under an AppleCare product.
Learn about Apple’s coverage information for your productopens in a new window

Set up a repair

Covered by AppleCare+
With AppleCare+ you get up to two years of service and support for your product, including up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling, each subject to a service fee.
Coverage end date: Month Day, Year

If the serial number is correct and the coverage end date is correct, it should indicate that it is valid and Apple has excepted it.

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Montreal, Canada
When you enter your serial number at https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and enter your serial number you should see the correct model and serial number and get 4 check marks for ....

Valid Purchase Date
A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

Telephone Technical Support: Active
Your product is eligible for telephone technical support under an AppleCare product.
More about AppleCare productsopens in a new window

Contact Apple Support

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active (limits apply)
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under an AppleCare product.
Learn about Apple’s coverage information for your productopens in a new window

Set up a repair

Covered by AppleCare+
With AppleCare+ you get up to two years of service and support for your product, including up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling, each subject to a service fee.
Coverage end date: Month Day, Year

If the serial number is correct and the coverage end date is correct, it should indicate that it is valid and Apple has excepted it.
Thanks a lot!
I checked that a couple of times, and I have all 4 check marks! I also contacted support via Chat and they told me it's all good! Thanks again!

coghlan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Canada
If Apple is covering keyboard and SSD problems beyond the standard warranty, what would be the primary motivation to buy basic Apple Care for a 2017 MBP?

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If Apple is covering keyboard and SSD problems beyond the standard warranty, what would be the primary motivation to buy basic Apple Care for a 2017 MBP?
There is still the question of whether or not the "Flexgate" issue will affect the 2017 and there is no program for that yet. Not to mention if you have a SSD, Logicboard, display or some other failure after the 1 year expires. Any out of warranty repair on these things will be expensive.

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I got it to worry less about it all the time. I carry my Pro with me pretty much all the time, and knowing that if I drop/break/spill something on it I can have it repaired/replaced for cheaper.
On top of that, my 2015 base 13" had a small problem with the screen and they changed the whole assembly. It was the last month of its warranty, and I got a dead pixel on the new panel around 8 months after they replaced the screen, which meant it was out of warranty and that I didn't have to do anything about it. It also covers the battery and the charger for 3 years.
By the way, it's weird how AppleCare for iMac Pro costs 1/3 what AppleCare for 15" Pro costs.

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Laptops are more likely to incur an issue given the usage type, i.e., being mobile.
i am sure it is like any insurance, premiums are based on payout history. Portable computers get knocked around, dropped,and lead a much harder life than system stuck on a desk.
Fair point. Didn't think of it haha, I was just checking AppleCare prices for different Macs and just thought iMac Pro would be the most expensive to insure... because it's the most expensive to buy. But you're right, didn't think of it.