Buy Apple display now or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by driphone, Jul 18, 2014.

  1. driphone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    #1
    Need a full size display for the main desktop apple computer . Buy the Apple display now or wait for the next model?
     
  2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #2
    If you need a monitor now, get a Dell. The TBD is not worth the money right now, though the next version might be good.
    If you can wait, definitely wait.
     
  3. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #3
    Wait for the new product announcements in Sept.
     
  4. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    #4
    Thx. Do we know what is being announced as Apple's next cinema display?
     
  5. Acronyc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2011
    #5
    I don't think it's worth the money for full price, but if you can find a deal on one I think it's worth it. A few months ago I got a refurbished ATD for $550 and am pretty happy with it so far, but I wouldn't have paid much more for it.
     
  6. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #6

    No or you would be seeing threads and pages on it at Macworld, AppleInsider, , here and other sites....etc.

    I would be very surprised about any new cinema display. On the other hand they could easily update the Thunderbolt Display to TB2, put in 4K, USB 3, and drop FW. If not 4K resolution, then at least the same resolution as the Retina MacBooks.
     
  7. MinkyMomo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Location:
    California, USA
    #7
    Hoping for 21:9 update

    Personally, I would love to see an updated Thunderbolt Display use those new 34-inch 21:9 panels like on the LG 34UM95, with USB 3.0 of course. I'm about to spring for the LG but just might hold out for an Apple product, especially if it comes in at the same price point ($999). Not having to perch my ancient USB camera on top would be a welcome bonus wrt the LG.
     
  8. kwijbo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2012
    #8
    I agree, if there is no resolution change they should at least update to TB2, USB 3, drop FW, update the form factor and display stack to match the iMac and possibly update webcam/speakers. $1k is just way too much to stomach for 3 year old hardware (exactly 3 years old today ironically).

    I'm curious as to what Apple's next move is. In a perfect world the obvious evolution is to pixel double the 27" model and update the rest of the specs accordingly but TB 2/DP 1.2 doesn't provide enough bandwidth to push 5120 x 2880 at 60 Hz. TB 3 will, but is still a ways away at the moment.

    If Apple were to come out with a pixel doubled 21" model it would be 4k, ~210 PPI and doable over TB 2 but do they still offer the "lower spec" 27"? It would be odd to have the smaller model be the flagship.

    Or do we see nothing until TB3 comes out alongside Skylake (which could be well over a year away at this point) with a pixel doubled 27" model?
     
  9. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #9
    I think that if Apple does not do something soon, they are de facto getting out of the display area.

    Lets hope for a indeed the 2014 lineup is the best in a long time. I guess we will know by the end of Sept.
     
  10. vinnie110 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2008
    #10
    It's easy get a Dell the big
    Problem I have with Apple displays is no anti reflective coating.

    It doesn't matter how good the resolution and colour are if you can't always see the picture.
     
  11. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #11
    Fix your room lighting. The wife and I have no problem editing photos on our ATDs.
     
  12. adnbek macrumors 65816

    adnbek

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec
    #12
    Will be released probably when they update the Mini.

    Oh, when is the Mini being updated? Who knows. :p
     
  13. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #13
    It was far more likely that it would be updated when they released the nMP, but I guess you're right that the update is the most likely time for a new TBD.
     
  14. longthizzz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    #14
    i think everyone is waiting till sept , myself included.
    i so want to pull the trigger on the asus pb287q but sept is right around the corner . we ca hope and pray apple drops a thunderbolt display
     

Share This Page