Buy Apple TV 4k now or wait for next model?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I heard there's suppose to be a refresh coming up for the ATV. Not sure if I should wait or just settle for the ATV 4k now. What's the lowest price for the ATV 4k? I believe I saw it for $100 last year on black friday.

Aon_Duine

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
But the current model it’s 2 years old . Since when will Apple support it’s software ?
I want to buy an Apple TV 4K 3 months now , but I hear the rumours for a new model and i m still waiting .
Honestly I don’t know what to do , I need a tv streamer ASAP but I would like to buy the new one , if ever going to be a new one !!

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2018
The update cycle is around two years so it’s due now, imagine there will be a new one supporting Bluetooth 5, I’d wait if I were you I bought one two weeks ago as needed it but if you can hold tight for a month or two then you should, upgrades will include more storage - up to 128gb and a new chip. Bluetooth 5 so you’ll be able to share the audio to two sets of AirPods and a few beats headphones.
- - Post merged: - -

If you need it now...buy it now. Is this really a hard decision? And new software updates can be applied automatically.
Of course it’s a hard decision a new one is weeks away, this whole “if you need it now buy it now” is such a useless answer it’s up there with ‘ does what it says on the tin” why even bother to respond here If that’s your contribution. “Computer says no“

Aon_Duine

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
Right now I am using my Mac mini as streaming machine , but every time I have to move it from my office to the living room , and I am doing this for the last 2 months . But it is annoying .... That’s why I have the dilemma to wait or not

Edd70

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2018
I’m going to wait for the new model myself to upgrade my 4th gen. The cost of these things is chump change compared to iPhones and Macs. If you’re spending the $, may as well futureproof yourself.

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
Buy it now from QVC. They are in holiday mode which means you have until January 31, 2020 to make all returns. My tv HD is failing. I’m buying now from the Q and I’ll return if a new tv comes out.

Reactions: bruinsrme

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I am in the waiting boat myself - just hoping they release a new one before the official Apple TV+ launch as I can only justify it with the one year free membership.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I'd say you COULD get one a 4K now (and if you wait a couple of weeks, most retailers have an extended return window for purchases made in Nov. leading through Christmas)

The issue is, there's been no solid, concrete statement on when a new model will be released. It could end up being in the spring of 2020. That's months away.

If there was at least a time frame (Fall 2019 / Winter 2019) you could weigh the options. At this point, there is no confirmed date (or even announcement of the product)

You could also purchase the 32g version now....at least you could start watching it now. If you wait, you could be waiting months.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I would wait until Apple TV+ launch (November 1) just to make sure. If Apple doesn't update Apple TV by then, I think we can safely rule out possibility of upgraded Apple TV hardware until at least March timeframe.

There are rumblings of updated Apple TV with faster processor (A12 or A12X, which is needed for more demanding Apple Arcade games running at 4K and/or HDR) and HDMI 2.1 (better for games and switching video modes). And hopefully a redesigned remote but that's just my personal wish.

SalisburySam

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Of course it’s a hard decision a new one is weeks away, this whole “if you need it now buy it now” is such a useless answer it’s up there with ‘ does what it says on the tin” why even bother to respond here If that’s your contribution. “Computer says no“
Sorry, no, it is not a hard decision at all. OP said s/he needs the device now. If that's true, get it. Lots of other posters here agree with me. Your post restating the newer models refresh cycle and upcoming updates is hardly helpful either, just repetitive, nor is slamming other posters.

There is no single right answer as both getting the device now and waiting for some future device both have advocates and reasons for each. It is a personal buyer's decision. Again, if the need truly is now, there is no decision to be made other than to pull the trigger. If waiting is an option, it COULD be worth the wait to some. Again, not much of a decision here. And let me echo your phrase about your post: "...why even bother to respond here If (sic) that's your contribution."

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
As THE Apple TV man, my advice is to wait until 1st November.
If we don't see one on that day, then it looks as though we'll be waiting until next year.
The 'basics' which WILL come to that model are...

HDMI 2.1 (instant auto frame rate switching with no flickering or blank screen along with 120 fps which would be beautiful for the UI along with Arcade games)

AV1 - soon to be used by YouTube for 4K and upwards along with Netflix

WiFi 6 (currently on the iPhone 11/11 Pro)

Maybe even a A13X chip

New style remote / improved design with a more fluid feeling trackpad like the Macs that we are used to

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I would get one. I can't see Apple releasing a new device in 7 days time without any fanfare. They are geared up for TV+ to be their current primary product and need to sell subscriptions. Introducing a new aTV distracts from that.

I could be wrong but I just don't see it

Krakken

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Honestly have no idea why Apple would even update the Apple TV hardware at this point. With the advent of adding the Apple TV app to Roku, Amazon devices and a majority of new TV manufacturers why would most people buy an Apple TV product at this point? Our Apple TV HD remote broke this week and for the same price of a new remote from Apple I could buy an Amazon Fire 4K Stick??

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Our Apple TV HD remote broke this week and for the same price of a new remote from Apple I could buy an Amazon Fire 4K Stick??
But then you would have to use an Amazon Firestick. /jk

Seriously though, even with its flaws, I personally wouldn't want to go from tvOS to a Firestick UI.

I understand why the option is appealing though.

Reactions: JBaby

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
But then you would have to use an Amazon Firestick. /jk

Seriously though, even with its flaws, I personally wouldn't want to go from tvOS to a Firestick UI.

I understand why the option is appealing though.
Oh my gosh so true. It's all about quality, reliability and a flawless user experience. Amazon offers none of those. Their approach is the most basic of all - no security, no longevity, cheap parts, cheap experience. In others words - damn nasty.

It would take a very ignorant, naive person to sign into a Fire product with their Apple I.D. and trust that third party with their details including password.

I find it insulting when people try to compare the two, it's like myself trying to explain the value of plant based, organic food that is alive with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and cancer prevention and good farming/environmental kindness to someone who then tells me that, if they are hungry, they can buy a cheap burger from McDonalds!
That to me, is how the Apple TV and the Amazon Firestick compare.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
if you have more than 1 tv in your house, buy it. If a new model comes out, you can just move the old one wo a secondary tv. They really aren't that expensive.

Reactions: EnderBeta and JBaby

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Honestly have no idea why Apple would even update the Apple TV hardware at this point. With the advent of adding the Apple TV app to Roku, Amazon devices and a majority of new TV manufacturers why would most people buy an Apple TV product at this point? Our Apple TV HD remote broke this week and for the same price of a new remote from Apple I could buy an Amazon Fire 4K Stick??
Because the Apple TV app is just one app (that I dont even use myself) that is on an Apple TV.
You do realise the Apple TV app isnt the entire Apple TV system in an app right?

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut
As THE Apple TV man, my advice is to wait until 1st November.
If we don't see one on that day, then it looks as though we'll be waiting until next year.
The 'basics' which WILL come to that model are...

HDMI 2.1 (instant auto frame rate switching with no flickering or blank screen along with 120 fps which would be beautiful for the UI along with Arcade games)

AV1 - soon to be used by YouTube for 4K and upwards along with Netflix

WiFi 6 (currently on the iPhone 11/11 Pro)

Maybe even a A13X chip

New style remote / improved design with a more fluid feeling trackpad like the Macs that we are used to
I WISH it would support more than 2 concurrent bluetooth devices, however I think that's an TVOS bug/limitation that apple refuses to acknowledge.