Buy apple tv2 or tv3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by timek4, Mar 18, 2013.

1. timek4, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

timek4 macrumors newbie

timek4

Hi all,

Looking to buy a Apple TV, I do need the jailbreak, we're getting rid of the movie and sports channels soon because the rest of the house don't watch them, and I want the sport's channels, so wouldn't need it straight away, I know there is none for the Apple TV 3, but I've been reading few websites that there is many working on it and should have it completed soon, could anyone shed some light on this don't know how true it is?

My other option is to pay double the retail price for the second generation one with the jailbreak, I don't really know what to do?

Thanks

2. cxc273 macrumors regular

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any news regarding a successful jailbreak for the ATV 3. Folks have been working on it for a while.

Best advice would be if you really need a jailbroken ATV right now, you'll have to bite the bullet and pick up the ATV 2. There's really not much difference, except that the ATV 2's output tops off at 720p, versus the 1080p for the ATV 3.

A jailbreak for the ATV 3 could appear at any moment, but I have not heard anything solid.

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

The ATV 3 was released a year ago and it has never been jailbroken

4. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

Yeah I think I'll just go for the ATV3, couldn't bare the thought of spending the money on a ATV2 and the jailbreak coming out few weeks/month's after and loosing a lot on it.

Don't know how legit this website is, but a group do seem to be working on it so hope it will be soon.

http://www.appletv3jailbreak.com/2013/02/apple-tv-3-jailbreak-status-get-involved.html

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

what exactly do you want to watch? need to know for a good answer, i watch football, basketball, and hockey on my atv3 through my ipad, but depending your country you could do hockey, basketball or baseball direct on atv

6. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

I have seen claims that an apple tv 3 jailbreak will be "coming within just a few weeks!" as far back as last June (2012). Every month or so you'll get wind of a group that is just on the cusp of doing it. And that was for the version that was released last spring. Apple has now released a very slightly modified version with a different chip. That is the one you'd probably obtain if you walked into an apple store today. I have no idea if that different hardware changes the prospects for jailbreaking, but I'd bet it doesn't make it easier.

If you NEED the jailbreak, don't get the ATV3 expecting that it will soon be jailbroken. I predict you'll be disappointed.

That said, verify that you really need the jailbreak. These days a good workaround to jailbreaking is to just airplay mirror your iDevice, Mac, or PC (using AirParrot). Anything you can see on your computer screen can play on the Apple TV 3 via airplay.