Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Just to be clear, anyone advising the OP in ways to avoid paying any taxes that might be due are aiding in his attempt to violate British import laws.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
... would there be any more trouble associated with a purchase like this?

YES!!

From the warranty terms:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION.

Apple may restrict warranty service for hardware products to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."​

If you buy them in the US, then bring them into the UK, experience a fault and seek a warranty repair here, they can say no.

Not worth it. Buy at home :)

Source:

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/warranty-us.html

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
If you're in SF there's a place called Maxfield in LA that might have some in stock for in-store purchase.

Keep in mind also that LA and SF might as well be different states. LA is almost 400 miles from San Francisco, about a 6 hour drive.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Keep in mind also that LA and SF might as well be different states. LA is almost 400 miles from San Francisco, about a 6 hour drive.

Oh wow, I had no idea. That's quite the distance just for the Watch =/.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I think that by September you should be able to walk into an Apple Store and pick one up no problem.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Strictly speaking you might be liable to some kind of import tax when you return home. US prices will only include sales tax in the state you are in I believe.

If you add 20% VAT for the UK there isn't much difference, if any.

Couldn't he just wear it back?

Also UK prices include VAT, it's definitely cheaper to buy in the US. Is it worth the risk though? ;)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's perfectly legal - you don't need to worry about ditching the boxes and don't have to declare it. You're allowed to bring back goods worth up to £390 provided they're for yourself and you bring them back yourself (i.e. don't post them back). More information: https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu

Do be aware though that US prices exclude sales tax.
I was just going to post the same thing before I saw your reply. Hopefully this will silence all those going on about the additional VAT payment at the airport.

----------

Perhaps so, but you would be avoiding getting UK chargers and having the assurance of warranty cover. Is it really worth the "saving"?
The watch charges from a USB cable you can plug it into any PC or your Iphone charger.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I was just going to post the same thing before I saw your reply. Hopefully this will silence all those going on about the additional VAT payment at the airport.

----------

The watch charges from a USB cable you can plug it into any PC or your Iphone charger.

thats what i was thinking, it would only ever be plugged into the mains and i have a USB wall socket. then if i were to take it away, i usually always have the iPad charger with me, with it being quicker to charge the 6 and 6+ too so i just chop and change between the device being charged

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
YES!!

From the warranty terms:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION.

Apple may restrict warranty service for hardware products to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."​

If you buy them in the US, then bring them into the UK, experience a fault and seek a warranty repair here, they can say no.

Not worth it. Buy at home :)

Source:

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/warranty-us.html

I am a UK citizen, but my daughter has just married an American and lives there. She preordered a 42SS Milanese strap for me and it arrived on the last day of my holiday. I brought it back to the UK and took out UK applecare+ when I got back with no issues whatsoever. The representative said it is a worldwide cover. I'll be honest I didn't think if there was any import duty to pay and the wife and I even got stopped on the way back and all our baggage searched searched, but the customs guy said nothing about any duty on the watch at all. Maybe as it was the only thing we brought between us he was not bothered (he did actually comment on it and said is it as good as it's meant to be!).

Just a real world example to help you all out :)

(It is an amazing watch by the way and the thing that made the customs guy mention it was the fact that there was my normal watch (a Rolex!) in my hand luggage!)

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I have mine on order awaiting shipping to my friend in PA. I plan on getting a rMB, iPad Air 2 (refurb) and my sister a refurb MBA. In total it's over £500 in savings. I go at least once a year and always bring stuff back. I love Apple stuff but it's too expensive here in the UK. Don't forget to add the sales tax on. Luckily I get my stuff shipped to Delaware where there isn't any sales tax ;)

dylman

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
The UK folding plug is really sexy though, it would be a shame to miss out on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.