Buy applecare during taxfree weekend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crypticlineage, Aug 10, 2010.

1. crypticlineage macrumors regular

The tax free holiday is Texas in August 20-22 and I would really like to buy applecare for my mbp during that time. Does anyone know if tax-free applies to a product like this?

2. Xombie11 macrumors regular

Perhaps. But you're better off buying from ebay and saving ~$150.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

4. crypticlineage thread starter macrumors regular

Buying from Ebay is a gamble. Your registration might go through, but Apple may revert that registration a few months down the road when someone else registers for the same number. You can never be too sure on eBay, unless of course they provide shrink wrapped box which a large majority of them don't.

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Even then i wouldn't trust it. When i worked at CompUSA in highschool (10 years ago) we used to take PC games home and use the disks and registration keys to install them. Then we would tear out the registration keys from the inside documentation and bring the box/disks back to work to re-shrink wrap the game like it was brand new. People would buy the games, get home and find out they didn't have a registration key and try to return them, only to find out we didn't take returns on games.

I know, I know, it was terrible thing to do. But it happens, so be alert.

6. Marat macrumors newbie

It doesn't look favorable. Check out this site which details the tax-free weekend. http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html

I wish it applied to computers. I'm planning on buying a MBP that weekend.

7. Marat macrumors newbie

Damn! That is terrible. I hope you've seen a priest for absolution. :)

8. feeth macrumors 6502

Amazon is your best bet, approx $190 for AC.

I wanted to get one of those $110 deals from ebay, but I too don't hear anything good about it. Read this.

9. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

No wonder it went out of business around here that's awful.

10. Marat macrumors newbie

Great link! Thanks for posting that.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

I bought 4 appelcares on ebay and haven't had a problem yet. Use common sense. Check previous seller history. I bought only from those that sell applecare and have 100% feedback. So far never had an issue

12. feeth macrumors 6502

How long have you had them for? Dare I ask have you checked the status of them lately?

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

It shouldn't matter. As a service, it isn't taxable in most states.

14. crypticlineage thread starter macrumors regular

Don't be so sure. Apple can invalidate them anytime. The only way to be sure is to have shrink wrapped box with serial number, registration key inside, and a sales receipt showing you bought it from Apple or an authorized reseller. That's the only way to reclaim your applecare should apple ever revoke it.

As other poster said above, check your applecare status.

15. crypticlineage thread starter macrumors regular

I can get applecare for $183 from the education store.

16. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I've bought three from different ebay sellers, worked fine. Used them for repair multiple times without apple even making a peep.

17. Xombie11 macrumors regular

eBayers don't sell you "fake" keys that may be used by "legitimate" buyers at a later date. They get great amounts of keys in bulk, mainly because these are businesses that retail/repair macs and find them necessary.

Most sellers will ship you the box for an additional $20 or so, and the box isnt really necessary as they'll never ask for a serial #. Once the AppleCare is registered, the only serial # they'll ask for is the one on your mac. Regardless, even with the box, $170 is a much better deal than $325 (or whatever ridiculous fee Apple charges to extend your warranty by two years).

Also, everyone will warn you not to buy keys from eBay... they'll tell you horror stories like those above. However, I have never read even ONE post where a eBay user's AppleCare was voided or even challenged. It doesn't happen.

18. crypticlineage thread starter macrumors regular

Total BS. Apparently, you do not know much about applecare on ebay. Ebay itself published a cautionary note about buying applecare. Go read up.

19. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

FYI - we got the idea from a couple friends that worked at a near by BestBuy and they had been doing the same thing for years.

But yeah, CompUSA was a terrible company with equally terrible prices.

Honestly, if I ever ran into one of the people we scammed with this, I would happily hand them the $40-$60 we essentially stole from them.

20. Xombie11 macrumors regular

U mad bro? You overpaid $150. You could have bought an SSD...

Despite what eBay's posted, has this happened to anyone you, personally, know? Has it happened to any member on this entire forum? MRoogle it. Like I said, it doesn't happen.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Buying AppleCare on ebay is like buying anything else on ebay. Of course you have to be careful, but most things work out just fine.

22. crypticlineage thread starter macrumors regular

Say what you will, but peace of mind is priceless.