Buy Applecare on Late 2013 rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utwarreng, Aug 18, 2014.

1. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I just replaced my 2008 white MacBook with a brand new late 2013 model rMBP, and I'm debating on Applecare. On one hand, my white MacBook lasted 6 1/2 years, but I did use the Applecare to get a new battery once. I also upgraded the memory and hard drive myself (obviously things that can't be done on the new MBP).

The fact that you can't change the hard drive or the memory is leading me toward buying Applecare, but I'm still on the fence. $250 is a lot of money. What do you guys think?

2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

buy the apple care!

I always do, except for my MBP for which i forgot and missed the 1 year deadline! now i need a new logic board, and am kicking myself in the butt!

$250 is quite a bit, but in the very least you can get a new battery out of it! and the piece of mind is seriously worth it!

3. MFL2012 macrumors member

Check out B&H Photo. Apple Care for 13" rMBP is $179.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Get off the fence and head over to B&H Photo, where I buy my AC for all of my Macs. Stop reading this, and do it now...

Well, you have until anytime in the first year. :cool:

5. utwarreng thread starter macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Thanks for the heads up on B&H, I'd never heard of them before. I hopped right off the fence and ordered it right away. I appreciate it!

6. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

good man/lady you'll be happy you did... :D

----------

does anyone know if B&H will ship to Canada? i don't mind saving $70 on my AC but we don't have places like BH,MACMall or Adorama up here :(

7. cpac54 macrumors newbie

You can buy Applecare up to 1 year afterwards?! Does that apply to refurbs as well?

Given my current pre-university budget crunch, that would be a big relief!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it does.

9. erickj macrumors regular

I'm about to buy AC for my refurb rMBP late 2013, and wondering if anyone has had experience buying through amazon. It's 174.00 there, not that much less than B&H, but I have an amazon credit card which gives me perks, so I'd prefer that route.

Have people who purchased through them had good luck?

10. utwarreng thread starter macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I find if fascinating that third parties can sell a valid Apple-provided warranty/service for cheaper than Apple themselves does. I would love to know the dynamics on exactly how this works. I mean, if it were a physical product, I could get it, but there's nothing substantial here other than a cardboard box full of air and an activation code for a warranty. The company you're purchasing from doesn't back the warranty; Apple does. The details of their ability to offer the product at a lower price would be very interesting to delve into.

11. fsumom macrumors regular

I purchased my 2010 MBP and Applecare through Amazon. No issues.

12. erickj macrumors regular

Thanks!

----------

I've wondered this myself. Obviously, there is a wholesale price that companies get on anything that they sell to a consumer. The internet has made much of this more transparent in recent years though. Apple themselves actually also sells the 'education' Applecare for about $185 for a rMBP 13" so I'm suspecting that amazon and b&h are pricing just above what they pay for it wholesale. The mindset being that you'll probably order more of other things that they make money on defraying any profit lost on the transaction.