Buy AppleCare or No???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chef boy r50, Jun 10, 2009.

1. chef boy r50 macrumors newbie

Finally jumping on the mac bandwagon.

Want the low end new 13" umb. Should I buy Apple Care or not. This kind of concerns me, because reliability is why I want mb, so I really wish I don't need applecare.

Can I use the back to school promotion for this, I am a college student.

i will mostly use it for school, internet, and movies.
    Is it possible to play some sims 3, WOW, maybe AOE?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everybody wishes they didn't need it, but I am a fan of Apple Care

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jrmontag macrumors newbie

absolutely

if you plan on keeping your mac for a while, then you should absolutely buy APP. yes, macs are stable and awesome. But, they are still mass-produced consumer electronics. As such, they're prone to failure.

There's like a $100 flat rate for bringing in a notebook for repair. Add in the actual repair cost and parts and a single repair will cost you more than the APP. The phone support is sweet, too.

Do it.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Apple care is a most, even if you never do use it , you will always have peace of mind if something goes wrong

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I've never purchased AppleCare in all my years of using Apple products (going back to the days of the IIc - not sure when they started the AppleCare thing), and have never needed it. I still have an old Sawtooth G4 tower running just fine, and a 5300c I gave my uncle years ago just recently quit on him (and that was a model widely accepted as being a POS). One of these days I'm sure the law of averages will catch up with me though, and I'll have a Mac die on me on the 366th day.

If you are unsure or don't want to pony up the cash for it now, you have a year after original computer purchase to get AppleCare for it. And you can sometimes find deals from places like eBay.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Apple honor their warranties; that's is one of the reasons I switched to Apple after two iPods died - both still under warranty - and were immediately replaced without any attempt to seek refuge in contractual small print.

Last year, I bought a high-end MBP and added Applecare after a few months; Apples are superb computers but even superb machines still break down - as already pointed out by a number of posters - and Applecare gives peace of mind and cover for three years. I'd recommend you get it.

Cheers and good luck

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, it provides peace of mind for full three years. Remember that you have the whole year to buy AppleCare, you don't have to buy it yet

8. friareunuch macrumors member

seems like a lot of money maybe, but it's really not. just buy it with the computer and be done with it.

1. it's auto-enrolled - you don't have to do a darn thing to activate it
    2. then you get 3 years of phone support instead of 90 days
    3. you might forget

9. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Buy it.

Not only is it a warranty extension, but you can also call AppleCare at anytime about any question you have using your Apple product, whether you have a hardware problem or not.

10. friareunuch macrumors member

further, i have the sneaking suspicion that your treatment at the genius bar is better if you bought the applecare, even during the first year. they're more likely to stretch the rules for you. (ie, doing a free repair even if the computer is a little busted up)

EDIT: and by "sneaking suspicions" i mean i've seen it happen

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Indeed.

12. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Obviously if worse comes to worse you're out $250 bucks... and you're not spending it on something stupid. It's protection. Whether you need it or not you can't predict... so it's up to you. I never bought it and my old iBook is running just fine from 3.5 years ago... so I'm glad I never bought it. Saved some money. But you never know.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Get it and you won't be sorry.

15. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I don't like buying it, but somehow I know that if I don't something will go terribly wrong after the first year (that's just how my luck generally runs).

16. berdinkerdickle macrumors newbie

It paid off huge for me.

Just got my New Machine.

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Yes.

Has saved me several thousands of dollars across 3 machines.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Better safe then sorry and it's the best warranty on the market...

If you need more advice. Check Here.

19. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I think its a no-brainer to protect a probably hefty investment for 3 years. From personal experience, with my mother's macbook pro, it paid off huge. Mobo replacement and the works, would have been over 1000 dollars if we hadn't extended the warranty.

ALSO

66 dollars off for the student discount. comes to less than 200 which is a plus.

just got the high end 13" yesterday and applecare with student discount.

:) loving it!

20. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Had a Powerbook G4 and used up the 240 dollar Apple Care within my 3 year window. It is still running great.

Highly recommend it.

21. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I just ordered my refurb mbp the other day, but I spoke to someone at the apple store who told me I had a year to decide. So I at least have some time to save up a bit to get it. I was going to get the 13" with cheaper applecare, but not only was my pro more costly but the applecare is as well, but I will probably end up getting it sometime down the line. As others have said f you have a mobile device especially your chance of something going wrong are exponentially greater.

22. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I got about 80% off Applecare and 14% off my MB.

The low 13" MBP is a good choice.

I would recommend you get Applecare if you get a good discount on it

23. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I have purchased AppleCare for all of my Apple devices. I usually buy them off of eBay, unless some other store has a better deal.

24. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How do you get a discount??

25. cni2i macrumors member

Some members have warned about purchasing AC through ebay. Have you had any issues with your AC?