Buy AppleCare or Sell MacBook Alum/Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dr.devious, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

So I have late-2008 Aluminum MacBook and the warranty runs out 11/12/09. I am trying to figure out if I should buy AppleCare for $180 with my student discount or upgrade to a new MacBook Pro 13....I would love to hear some opinions

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you don't need the FW800 port and are happy with what you have, get the AppleCare and hold tight.

Chances are the upgrade is going to cost you more than the $180 in terms of value lost on the current model you have plus sales tax on the new unit.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Agreed — the unibody MacBook is a great machine; one-of-a-kind, in fact (since it only was around for one generation), a collectors edition, if you will. Unless you really need FireWire, I’d say keep the MacBook. Get AppleCare and love your computer for years to come. I know I would.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agreed. Keep using it until it no longer works or doesn't do what you need it to do. Keeping up with the latest and greatest just to have it is a fool's game.

5. Lee Potts macrumors newbie

eBay

Keep the MacBook and get apple care. Applecare goes for around $100 on ebay and its legit thats what I did. All you do is buy it now, or be the winning bidder and when they receive the payment they will email the registration number. Like I said I did this for my Macbook Alum recently because my warranty runs out in November as well!