Buy applecare then sell MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by earthdan, May 4, 2010.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on wether or not it is a good idea to buy applecare for my june 2009 MBP (15 inch, 2.8 GHz) in case I want to sell it in the next year or so.

I purchased this MBP in june 2009 so I would have until june this year to buy the extended coverage. I wasn't planning on getting applecare and was also planning on keeping this great machine, but now I feel as tho the 13inch MBP would fit my needs better.

If I do sell it do you think its worth it to first buy applecare for it?

thanks for any replies,

cheers,
    Dan

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it would make it easier to sell; after all, which would you buy? a year old laptop with no warranty left? or the same computer with 2 years of warranty left?

But whether you could recoup the cost of buying applecare isn't clear at all. I would guess probably not since most people looking for a used computer are looking to save money

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

If you plan on selling well before the deadline of your original AC ending... probably don't need to bother.

If it's getting close (say, within 2 weeks or so), then get it. You don't want to leave your buyer in the lurch, so to speak, when it comes to being able to get AC.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can sell it in the next week or so, you probably don't need to get AppleCare.

If need to sell it after June, AppleCare will make it easier to sell.

You can even go the ebay route to save a few bucks… your call since it won't be your computer after you sell it—though personally I'd take a student discount and get it with that. It's really up to you though.

Odds are you won't be able to recuperate the cost of AppleCare unless you go the ebay route, but you also risk screwing the buyer.

5. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys,

Any idea on what I could sell this MBP for (with applecare or without) in another year (assuming its in good condition physically) ?

cheers,

Dan