Buy at Apple or Amazon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dtrain, Apr 10, 2008.

1. dtrain macrumors newbie

After thinking about it for quite some time, I have entered the world of the Mac and just returned home with a new Macbook (2.4GHz, 2GB) but it is still sitting in the box as I am contemplating whether or not I should return it and buy through Amazon.

Initially I liked the idea of buying directly from Apple as opposed to one of the other websites that are resellers. However, with a 9% sales tax at the Apple store where I bought it coupled with the fact that Amazon has a $75 rebate right now, I am paying just shy of $200 more through the Apple store.

When I think about it, I could buy something like fairly nice for that price difference or just save the money. As much as I want to tear open the box and just start using it right now, I might return it tomorrow and buy through Amazon.

What would you do? Is there anything to worry about when buying it through Amazon? $200 is a pretty significant chunk of change.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

An extra $200 would be nice. However, what is the shipping time with Amazon? Is the time it would take to ship worth the $200? Also is the $75 rebate an instant or mail in? Mail-ins take forever and persoally, I think they are a pain.

Just a couple of thoughts, I would consider if I was in your position. Enjoy your macbook whatever you decide.

3. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Unless you customized it, then I would buy it through Amazon. You can select overnight shipping, get it tomorrow, and still save a bunch of $$.

I bought mine thru :apple:.com, but I wanted a customized option that Amazon didn't have.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've had no problems purchasing Macs thru amazon.com Well, OK -- the first purchase required them to manually process my credit card (which took an extra two days), but that was the first big purchase I had made with them using that card before.

Do whatever feels the best.

5. JasonK macrumors member

I second that notion...

If you wanted a bigger hard drive installed or better video card get it from apple (check for MBP's on sale on apple.com in the refurbished portion on the left side of the apple store page, click "Refurbished Mac," these are not customizable, though). Otherwise, if its just more RAM, go through Amazon and get the memory at Fry's online. Its under $100 for 4 GB last I checked.:)

6. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

as far as shipping, amazon has a free option, or you can expidite it for a little more. I would definitely go for amazon, the apple warranty is the same and everything. Use the extra $ for acessories, an external HDD, nice mouse and keyboard, case, etc, or AppleCare.

7. dtrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the feedback. After reading your thoughts, I think I will return it to the Apple Store tomorrow and order it from Amazon. The model that I bought is the plain vanilla 2.4GHz without any changes to the base configuration so buying from Amazon would seem to make sense.

The rebate is a mail-in which is a hassle but even without the rebate, the Amazon price will be about $115 cheaper and that can be used towards bumping up the memory to 4GB or adding an external drive for backup.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Don't forget about the on-line refurb store at apple - it will save you even more than amazon's rebate (even with the tax issue).

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

you might still have to pay a 10% restocking fee regardless if its opened or not, defeating the whole point of not paying tax

10. dtrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I had wondered the same thing but the receipt indicates you have 14 days to return and as long as it is not opened there is no restocking fee. I've called the store to confirm that as well. Now I am glad that I didn't tear the box open right away, lol.

11. trip1ex macrumors 68000

The tax rate might be much lower after you order than the estimate in Apple's cart. Mine was. TAx rate here is 8.5% and that's what was showed up in my cart. Yet after I ordered I was actually taxed at only 4%.

I ordered from Apple's site because I did an iMac refurb and got a free printer and taxes, like I just said, were lower than expected. If I was ordering a new MBP I'd probably go Amazon because I'd save $250+. The refurb I got was same as new. ONly difference is I got a brown box.

12. Dman24 macrumors newbie

I posted about this about a month ago and ultimately went with Amazon. I was originally concerned with getting it delivered and felt that it might be thrown around and not protected. This theory was proved incorrect. There was so much padding and protection in two boxes and inflatable padding that you could probably play soccer with it and not damage it. Secondly there was no tax so a savings of 200 or so dollars was great. Im waiting for the rebate. Supposedly takes up to 12 weeks to be delivered. Go with Amazon and enjoy!

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Amazon offers very amicable shipping options I paid $23 and received it quickly and efficiently with tracking available. You MUST sign.

The rebate is NOT instant. It is however, entirely electronic and simple. I was able to track the process and received it before I had paid my credit card bill.

ONE YEAR LATER - I own a still PERFECT working-order Macbook Pro and Apple Store has met my every need as though I bought it from them personally.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

that's where i'd go.

15. pugple macrumors member

The newest rebate if he buys it after today will need to be postmarked and sent through snail mail.

I bought my new 2.4 MacBook from amazon. Although I do have an education discount, buying it from amazon.com was cheaper (after rebate) when compared to education discount + tax. And I have amazon prime so I was able to get free 2nd day shipping. :p

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I just received a new MB 2.4 from Amazon myself this week. As mentioned
    previously, it was double boxed on top of the apple box. And with the tax savings its hard to beat. And I just ordered a 4mb memory kit from
    OWC for $89.99 (basically the $75 amazon rebate pays for most of that).

But another option (IF you want to customize the config) was to buy
    using your Discover card. If you connect to the apple store FROM the
    Discovercard site you get 5% credit (in 8 weeks) and you have FREE
    shipping. For a MBP it would have been a better deal. Apple just became
    of of their "stores" in the last couple weeks.

17. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Buy from Amazon. Don't worry about customizing. You can add a 320GB HDD and 4GB of ram for less than $250 now. Not paying tax and the rebate will pay for that. Enjoy!

18. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I bought this iMac (my first) at the local Apple Store. When I get my next one it will probably be through Amazon.
    Good luck with it no matter where you spend your money, as long as it's not ebay!
    Morod

19. asmallchild macrumors regular

i hadn't realized this massive price difference

one of the reasons why i went with apple is because of the enticing apple store. great to walk in, browse, and walk home with the product in hand

that being said, if I had realized there was a $200 difference (i pretty much handed back my entire student discount by getting it in-store), i might have reconsidered

20. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

2 things to consider about Apple versus Amazon.

1. Did you opt for the free printer with Macbook purchase through Apple because that is a good deal and can be resold on ebay or to a friend for some extra cash.

2. Does your company have a corporate discount with Apple or are you a student? If you are a student you can receive a discount and if you have a corporate discount like I do you can get 10-12% off retail.

Also if you have not opened the box you are totally fine. No restocking fees and if they try to fight it because they are wrong.

21. asmallchild macrumors regular

I did pick up the free printer and they accidentally threw in an external USB 250GB HDD by accident so it all evens out.

Out of curiousity, my parents have the corporate discount and I have a student one. Do they by any chance stack?

22. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Wait, I'm don't understand.....Amazon doesn't collect the sales tax, but you still have to pay it, right? :p

23. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

No, because you are buying in different online "stores" - your parents in a Business Store and you in the Ed store.

24. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That's between you and the entity that collects the sales tax (in most cases your state, but some municipalities do also). ;):D:D:D

25. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger