Buy at Apple vs BB or WMat, etc.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Boca, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

I love to shop at the local Apple Store...are there advantages buying in the Apple store vs Best Buy, Walmart, etc? (besides the obvious buzz I get when I go into the Apple store :D:D thanks, have a great weekend...what's left of it.

2. HazChem macrumors regular

HazChem

Not really. If you have any issues, the Apple Store Genius will help you out regardless of where you bought it. Even replace it if something is wrong with it.

I bought mine at Best Buy to get the points.

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Got mine at BB because I have card there and also they have 18 months no interest for it. So that was the deciding factor for me. Personally I think where ever you can find one that works for you and is in stock, go for it.

4. jenlevin macrumors regular

5% off @ target when you use a target credit or debit card. was a no brainer for me.

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If I am buying an Apple product I always buy it from Apple. If you have a discount/gift card somewhere else that might be different but all things being equal I buy at the Apple Store.

6. Polymira macrumors regular

7. nosser macrumors regular

I know most of the electronics reps in a Target near my house and my buddy is a Target mobile manager and was able to get the 10% employee discount plus my 5% for the red card. The o ly bad part for me was that they never received an Att iPad so I ended up with a 64gb wifi.

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I got it at Best Buy on launch day for three reasons:

1. It was about 10 minutes closer than the Apple Store.
    2. I got 15$ in Reward Points for using my Card.
    3. 18 months no interest financing (how can you pass that up :p)

9. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

Best Buy

I did the reservation at Best Buy on the weekend of release in March - I had to wait until April before they finally received the model/color in stock - 64-bit AT&T White...

Choose Best Buy because of Overwhelming Offers/MasterCard Marketplace over the holidays offered $100 Gift Card purchases at drugstore.com for $50. So any time these came up I jumped on this to buy Best Buy gift cards - what I had left I used my credit card points to obtain additional Best Buy gift cards until nearly the entire purchase was accounted for.

Literally the day before I was called about my reservation, another Best Buy in my area (Chicago) had the White Verizon model in stock – I ran down and picked it up – but I really wanted the AT&T model because I travel to Europe/South America frequently and want to be able to use the 3G for GPS functionality… I use my iPhone 4 for Handylight Tethering (this works for web access via iPad, but not app access to the Internet unfortunately…)

Best Buy also frequently offers credit card promotions for long term 0% financing and of course their Rewards Zone point system… in the past I have also been able to manipulate the website to allow me to purchase for in-store pickup items not permitted for such online purchasing – mainly because I wanted to earn points – at that time I had bought a iPad 1 for a friend of mine and using the Microsoft Bing cashback (Bing Cashback is no longer available) there was a 15% promotion for 15% cashback on purchases made at Best Buy… Not sure if forcing an online purchase into your cart is still possible but I was pretty pleased with myself for figuring that out :)

10. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Great info. What do you mean by this: I use my iPhone 4 for Handylight Tethering (this works for web access via iPad, but not app access to the Internet unfortunately…)

I plan on tethering after jailbreaking. What will I be missing with regard to your statement about "not app access"? Please explain and thanks again.

11. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

Actually I was incorrect - yesterday I received a travel router which I plan to use when I need to tether since neither the iPad nor the iPhone (non-jail broke) can create a wi-fi network... (without using the $$ hot spot feature)

Handylight was an app available on the app store briefly before being taken off which allowed for a socks proxy to tether proxy capable devices.

Anyhow, I was wrong about not being able to tether iPad apps - I successfully tethered the NYT app, I just wasn't patient enough. I cannot tether mail tho - that one simply will not work.

12. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

iPad 2 in your Best Buy Cart for Pickup...

Just thought I would point out that adding an iPad 2 from a store with reported availability is still capable of being accomplished, if you have the patience and know how to manipulate html code...

As I mentioned above, I was able to do this for an iPad 1 when they could not be added to carts for in-store pickup... So I was just curious if it could still be done.

I didn't follow the purchase all the way through - so not sure if it would really work, but if you have Best Buy gift cards and want to also earn referral site points (tho they are crappy - United Mileage Plus Mall only offers .75 miles per $1...) - or just want to grab an iPad 2 - might as well try...

Attached Files: