buy at att, exchange at apple ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KD110, Jul 8, 2008.

1. KD110 macrumors member

I would prefer to buy the iphone at the apple store, but am concerned that as a current att, but non iphone client, I may have trouble - has anyone bought the 1st gen iphone at an att store and returned it to the apple store (for repair / exchange) - I know that returns are dealt with easier at the apple store than the att store and I once tried to upgrade an unopened ipod to a larger capacity at the apple store and although it was brand new and unopened, they would not let me exchange as it was not bought at an apple store... does the applecare make this moot?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I had a friend who had the screen bubbles issue occur within the first year. She bought it at AT&T and took it to Apple. They gladly replaced it there.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if there is something wrong with it and needs to be replaced at the genius bar, where you purchased it is not a problem. If you just want to exchange it, you are out of luck-- have to go to at&t

4. KD110 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply's - Marykay, I was referring to after I get the phone and IF something goes wrong whether I will be able to go to the apple store and have it dealt with, rather then the att store (if I purchase it there)... seems as if I can - thanks

5. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Hubbies iPhone tended to get really hot and had major battery issues, he bought it from the AT&T store, they told him to go to the Apple store for service/help. Bought mine from the Apple store. No difference once you have them. We'll probably go to an AT&T store on Friday afternoon for the shorter lines for the 3G phone.

6. KD110 thread starter macrumors member

great news - thanks again - I am no longer concerned with dealing with att for any repairs

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Because it's an Apple warranty, you do all your repairs/replacements at Apple.

Even the #1 Apple reseller MacMall says that all returns and stuff has to be done through Apple.

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Please take it to Apple, ATT is good for nothing.