Buy ATV now or wait? Suggestions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by safetyobc, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

    safetyobc

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #1
    Just curious what the general thoughts were on buying :apple:TV now or waiting.

    If it is going to be more than 2 months out before an update, I'd rather just buy now. Hoping Apple will give a software update to :apple:TV if they come out with newer versions of the device.

    What do you think? Buy :apple:TV now or wait?

    Also how is the video quality on a 42" HDTV? Just curious.

    Thanks,

    I would likely hack it and install boxee.
     
  2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

    TwinCities Dan

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    Location:
    Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    #2
    I'd say go for it! They're great and with boxee it gets even better! :D

    edit: oh yea, it looks great on my 42" but obviously the boxee online content (video quality) leaves a little to desire.
     
  3. Cuthbert macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #3
    I would say go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

    1. A new Apple TV comes out within a month. You exchange your old one for the new one - and possible pay the restocking fee (which I've gotten out of for some things; when you get a nice enough genius).

    2. A new Apple TV comes out > 1 month from now. You decide you love the apple TV like the rest of us and then realize that you could buy the new one, put that in the living room and either sell the old one or put it in the bedroom.

    or

    3. You buy the Apple TV, decide you don't like it, and sell it to me for pennies on the dollar.
     
  4. dmm219 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #4
    yea, my view is, even if they do come out with a new, significantly better ATV, there is always another TV in the house that could use the old ATV. Since I already own one however, I am waiting at least until the summer to see what happens.

    I believe we will see one of 2 outcomes:

    1. Major software or hardware updates to ATV by this summer.
    2. If apple remains silent on the ATV much beyond summer, my bet is they plan abandon the ATV altogether.
     

Share This Page