Buy ATV now or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vjicecool, Apr 19, 2014.

  1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

    Jul 16, 2010
  2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2013
    If you want it right now, go for it. It's unlikely a major revision will be out until some time after WWDC - a minor revision is possible before then, but if it's only minor it won't be as annoying.
  3. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jul 16, 2010
    i am not much familiar with apple tv
    Is it possible to install flash or flash related clips can be played on apple tv?
  4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2010
    If Apple revamps the UI I hope it comes to the current ATV too. Also an App Store would be nice because then Plex would come out for it. I don't really care about having games on it so having faster hardware is not a big concern to me. Also, Apple needs to keep it the same price.
  5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020


    Apr 7, 2014
    Hamburg, NY
    Buy APTV now or wait?

    There have been no leaked pictures of the device which leads me to believe that there will be no Apple TV fourth generation anytime soon.
    If you need an Apple TV now, buy it now. If you can wait, wait. No one can answer the question for you. No one here knows anything more than you do about up coming Apple products
  6. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

    Aug 8, 2008
    Zurich, Switzerland
    No flash.
    The world has moved on.
  7. sandmanfvr macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2010
    What do you want to DO with it? I just got one, and I am going all digital and legal with movies, thus iTunes with Home Sharing and I love it. I don't care for an new Apple TV unless it allows me to put hard drive on it say usb 3.0 and such, for me Apple TV Gen 3 is perfect. If you just want a Netflix box etc, then its good but also roku is there to etc etc.
  8. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2012
    Deja Vu? I feel like one of these threads gets posted at least once a week.
  9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    I would wait until at least WWDC is over. If there's a major revamp, especially dealing with an app store, it's likely to come around then.
  10. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2013
    Here's why I wouldn't wait that long - it's still a month and half away, and given that there has been zero credible info on the hardware supply chain side (which is pretty close to impossible to hide these days), even if they announce an ATV hardware update, it's not going to happen right away, but more likely toward the end of the year. If it's a software update, then the current 3rd gen model will almost certainly be capable of running it.
  11. Frankied22 macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2010
    I have been debating getting one now or waiting until WWDC. I am perfectly fine with getting the current one of any new software update comes to it. The UI desperately needs an update. However, if a brand new hardware comes out I will be sorry. I am not sure if there will be new hardware tho seeing as how there have been no leaks.
  12. C64 macrumors 65816


    Sep 3, 2008
    About to buy an ATV as well. I usually never ever buy stuff when I know it can be refreshed at any minute. For all we know, since the ATV isn't that big of a deal compared to the iPhone/iPad/Mac, Apple can update it quietly next week. Or tomorrow. Eek!

    It's very possible that they simply didn't have much to add for developers, and there's no point talking about it at WWDC. Or, if they do have all new and great stuff, an App Store, and other things developers might be interested in, they could talk about it at WWDC and then don't ship it until the fall. Who knows.

    In any case, like others said, it depends on your use. My main use for the ATV will be AirPlay, so everything else really doesn't matter to me that much. Maybe they'll add games. Siri. A revamped UI (probably runs on the current ones too anyway). Some sort of US-only (not me) stuff regarding cable networks. Better. Faster. Stronger. Etc.

    All I know is that I currently have a new TV and no AirPlay. Despite it being very counter-intuivitve, I figure that every day I don't buy an ATV I simply can't stream music and videos to it, and that sucks. Maybe they'll update the ATV next week, but then I'll still have AirPlay on the current device, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a next version will change anything about the whole AirPlay thing.

    Bottom line, at this point I just don't want to wait what could well be 6 months for an update that possibly adds absolutely nothing I would even use or really care about.
  13. D.T. macrumors G3


    Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Pick up a refurb for $75, or keep an eye out for a used one - you can generally score the latter for $60-70.

    That’s a pretty small investment for a pretty terrific device, if a V4 comes out, you can probably still sell it for $40-50, or just keep it for another room, give it away, etc.
  14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000


    Jul 23, 2008
    Beach Cities, CA
    Like the previous poster said, just get a refurb. Relatively speaking, AppleTVs are not terribly expensive, so if the new one released has features you want, it won't break the bank. Also, I'm pretty sure the current ATVs won't be completely inferior when a new one comes out since Apple would more than likely update its software as well.

    I have 3 ATVs and I love them all. I have a huge iTunes movie library, TV shows and Netflix, Hulu+, HBOGo. So, it pretty much does everything I want it to without needing cable/satellite. And it's so portable; you can pretty much plug it into any TV with HDMI, connect it to WiFi and it works!
  15. betman macrumors regular

    Jan 15, 2013
    Depends how much you need it.

    It's ultra cheap anyway, so can't really go wrong if you buy it now. But a new version is probably in the works so if the $99 required isn't spare change then you might as well wait.

    The current version is also a big buggy of late. I bought "The Returned" (great show by the way) and needed to manually change the refresh rate to 50Hz as the picture was getting loads of jitter at 60Hz. Probably a software/firmware issue, but still... Apple needs to get their act together.
  16. tombo74! macrumors newbie

    May 7, 2010
    I had that jitter with Mad Man Season 2 yesterday. Thought it was because I watch US (iTunes) material with my German settings. Does switching to 50 Hz help?
  17. betman macrumors regular

    Jan 15, 2013
    I think it has to do with the box "suffocating" and not able to churn out the picture it ought to. Because one time I did manage to get The Returned to play in 60Hz without any issues. But other times it would start juddering until I manually switched the video mode to 50Hz. Before that it was on Auto and the system would automatically select 60Hz.

    Try altering this setting - I'm sure it will solve the issue and you'll get a smooth picture.
  18. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Aug 31, 2012
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    Whoops, I misread the title. I thought it was buy ATV or walk….. and was going to suggest walking in preference to taking an ATV. It would be more environmentally friendly, and good exercise as well.

    Personally, I usually take a bicycle to the pub if I want to watch sport on TV. I don't have a TV at home and 7 - 8 km is a little far to walk.
  19. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

    Mar 28, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I gave my jailbroken ATV2 to my parents and got myself a refurbished ATV3. With technology, you can always wait for something better to come along. If you need/want it now, then get it - its only $90
  20. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2012
    It's so cheap now you may as well get it if it does what you want it to do...there will probably be a new one out soon I'm sure, but it depends if there is another feature you definitely want or not (although nobody outside of Apple knows which features it will have!)

Share This Page