Buy AW3 now or wait until fall?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Porterhouse, Mar 30, 2018.

  1. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

    Porterhouse

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    I bought an aluminum sport Series 0 off ebay the December AW came out. I got an excellent deal, but I really liked the look of the stainless and wanted one of those. So when the next upgrades came up a few months later, I bought at SS with link bracelet at BB for around $230 or so. (It was a ridiculous price.)

    I've used these two Series Os through now. My Sport is coming apart--possibly the swollen battery effect. I mostly use that for sleep. My SS seems to be slowing down, and so I was thinking of upgrading. I want to stick with SS, as I like the look. Based on the rumors and such, would be best to upgrade now or to wait for the latest watch this fall?

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
     
  2. tl01 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #2
    Try to wait if you can for the next generation: if you can’t, I would almost trying buying another used one and then sell it. I have a series 3 aluminum but have wanted a SS....but am holding out for the next generation.
     
  3. ob81 macrumors 65816

    ob81

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #3
    I am battling this right now. We have an original Apple Watch, Series 1, and a Series 2 in the house. To be honest, all three of these watches are fine. The updates really improved these watches. That being said, if an original Apple Watch is fine now, and will be for another year at a minimum, the current series 3 has some legs. It is 6 months old. Apple products last a while. I just ordered a Series 3 today, for what it does, I will continue to use it until it doesn't work anymore, which I estimate is 4-5 years.
     
  4. mtneer macrumors 68030

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #4
    Try to see if Apple would replace the set with the swollen battery for you, since that could be a health and safety hazard, especially strapped directly onto your skin. If you are able to score a replacement AW, then you can bridge that over the next couple of months until Apple announces the 4th generation watch and then you can make a call to upgrade.
     
  5. JPack macrumors 68040

    JPack

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2017
    #5
    Definitely wait if possible.

    It’s been 3 years since the original Apple Watch and it’s due for a major form factor change.
     
  6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #6
    The new Apple Watch allegedly is to debut six months from now. Being that you are used to the same form factor, I would wait. It’s rumored the new changes are to have a 15% larger display, stronger battery and more health related sensors in a new form factor. And that prediction came through from a fairly reliable analyst and Apple insider with Ming Kuo.

    Normally I would say purchase whatever you want at the current moment, but being this rumor surfaced last week and from one of the most concrete analysts in the tech industry, then I suggest waiting.

    https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/27/new-apple-watch-larger-screen-series-4/
     
  7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #7
    Prices for the AW3 are still very high. Even used ones are selling for close to normal retail prices. If the prices drop dramatically and you are okay with "old technology" in Sept, then you might be able to get a good deal. I will personally wait to see what the new product looks like.
     
  8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

    Lennyvalentin

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2011
    #8
    This is - as always - more a factor of personal judgment/need than anything else... If you feel you can't go on with your OG model anymore, then by all means upgrade to a series 3. I've only toyed with one in a store, but it was lightning fast compared to my own plodding first-generation Sport model. Still, I kept myself from upgrading this past fall because the cellular version isn't available in my country, and I'd feel gimped without it. So I'm soldiering on another year (half year now), hoping cellular will come next time around.

    Also, I'm hoping the recent rumors of larger display means we'll get the iPhone X's slim bezels and rounded corners on the Watch as well - that'd be sweet. Plus some battery life improvements would be real nice.

    If one wants to look historically, iPhone didn't really take off until iPhone 4, with its huge laundry list of large improvements. Watch is also reaching its 4th generation - if we see even a fraction of iP4's advances it would be a big step.

    So personally I would wait, but it wouldn't exactly be a mistake to upgrade now either. For all we know, the next-gen of Watches might just be some marginal changes to an already solid product. :p
     
  9. Porterhouse thread starter macrumors 6502

    Porterhouse

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #9
    Good ideas, everyone! Thank you. I think I’m going to wait. I’ll take my Sport to the Apple store, but since it’s out of warranty, I wonder if they’ll even look at it.
     
  10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #10
  11. btrach144 macrumors 65816

    btrach144

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    #11
    The Apple Watch has been growing in size compared to the original. With rumors of a redesign this fall, I would hold off if possible otherwise it might not feel like much of an upgrade in terms of looks.
     
  12. Elenadc macrumors member

    Elenadc

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2014
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #12
    Whichever way you go definitely call Apple about the swollen battery. All of the 1st Gen watches are still under the extended warranty on the battery. They'll replace it and you'll have a new watch to keep or sell.
     

Share This Page