Buy before or after 10.8?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Supposing Apple releases updated models before 10.8, would it be better to wait after 10.8 becomes standard on the models, or get the Macs while they're still hot and buy 10.8? I like Lion for the most part, but there are some annoyances that keep me from fully embracing it.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It's almost guaranteed that 10.8.0 will be "a bag of hurt" as have been all .0's so it's actually probably best to buy before 10.8.

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You will like Mountain Lion even less. I've installed the Developer Preview yesterday on a spare hard drive and the new cat slowed everything down on my 8GB 27" iMac i5. It was no fun to use at all. The only positive side-effect was that the USB problems that I have since Lion 10.7.3 were gone in Mountain Lion. But the OS was painfully slow. Okay, it's only a DP, so we'll have to wait for the real thing for a fair comparison.

4. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

I'm SO excited for Mountain Lion, FINALLY I'll be able to go from computer to iphone with any data loss!

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

What's the average time Apple takes between releasing a new Mac OS and making it standard on their current lineup?

6. RickyB macrumors regular

Usually it's made standard straightaway, but it some stock will have the older OS for a few weeks.

7. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Well, Apple will launch it by summer. If you can wait more 4 months, it's okay to wait :)

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Don't rush them. They said "late summer" not "by summer" which could be mid September, seven months away.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The only advantage if you buy the machine after 10.8 is that it comes free.... but Apple OS's are costing around $39 now so its not a big deal. Just get your machine now and start enjoying it... then pay the 39 bucks or so for 10.8 later on.... You might be waiting until September.

10. Icaras, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I purchased my iMac the week Lion was launched and received a brand spankin' new Lion iMac, with Lion artwork on the box. No Snow Leopard or iLife discs at all.

But something you should know: I purchased my model as a BTO option. If you buy a stock model, Apple will have go through their stock supply of Lion Macs first before selling the new batch of ML Macs. I've read others who bought stock models on the same week or very nearly after Lion was released and they still received a Snow Leopard Mac. The good news though is that Apple will again most likely offer a one month grace period for people who have purchased a new Mac before Mountain Lion is released and you'll get it as a free upgrade from the Mac App Store.

I don't see "late summer" anywhere on Apple's site. They simply say "this summer". Also, take a look at the prior two OSX releases. Snow Leopard was promised to be released in Fall, but Apple actually released it late summer on August 28, 2009. Lion was promised in summer but Apple got it out the door on July 20, 2010, just one month into summer. So judging from Apple's OSX release schedules, I think they've been very good at delivering on their promises, without having to wait all the way until the very end of a season. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we saw ML released again in July this year.