Buy bigger hard drove MBP in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samirtv, Jul 5, 2010.

1. samirtv macrumors newbie

I am wanting to buy the MBP (decided to just do the 2.4ghz) and would like to get the 320gb hard drive. do they have these in store or do i have to order them online?

2. Aljovido macrumors member

Probably not, Apple stores usually only carry stock models. You could always try giving them a call to check for sure. Your best bet is to buy from the online store.

Just so you know, for the same price as upgrading to the 320gb drive from Apple, you can purchase one separately and keep the old 250gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2136197&cm_re=320gb_hd-_-22-136-197-_-Product

You just have to be comfortable with taking off the bottom plate of your MBP and reinstalling OSX, which is quite simple.

3. samirtv thread starter macrumors newbie

if i change the hard drive do i void the warranty?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

As long as it is done without doing any damage to the computer your warranty is fine. Download and read the owners manual from Apple's site and you will find instructions for upgrading the HD and RAM. Both are considered owner serviceable parts.

If you do the HD yourself I'd recommend buying from OWC, they have excellent pre and post sales service and even provide videos for installation. They're link is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/

Regards,

Roger

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

What the heck is a hard drove :rolleyes:

Just get the stock model and then buy the hard drive from another place for much cheaper and install it yourself. Plus, you can use the 250GB for backups or storage.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

why would you waste your money and/or time upgrading from a 250GB to a 320GB? Thats only 70GB difference. If you are going to upgrade, first do it yourself, the stock 250GB would be a nice backup drive inside a USB enclosure and second buy a 500GB or bigger OR SSD.