Buy but don't activate until Christmas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Oct 12, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Feb 22, 2009

I currently have an iPhone 3GS and hubby has a 3G. I want to get him the new iPhone 4 for Christmas using my eligible line since his will not be eligible until next year. I know this can be done because we've done this before. (using each others upgrades) My question is two part however.

1. Can I buy the iPhone 4 under my plan sometime soon and put it under the tree without activating for a long time or does ATT require activation soon after receipt?

2. Assuming I can hold onto it for quite a while without activation, when would my new two year term start? At the time I order/receive? Or once it's activated?

See where I'm going here? If I'm going to have to start a new 2 year plan on my account, I would rather do it as soon as possible since I am currently out of contract. So I would prefer to just buy it soon and stick it under the tree for a couple months if ATT will allow that.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of doing this?

Thank you!
  2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2008
    You can order the iPhone from Apple and it will come to your house without being activating. Theres no limit on when you have to activate the phone. you're new contract starts when you activate the phone.
  3. SL4VE macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2010
    if you really want to make his xmas give it to him early.... but if you dont, dont let on i know i would go crazy waiting for 2 weeks waiting for an iPhone 4 let alone 2 weeks
  4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    As mentioned above, you may as well order through the apple store as it will take a couple weeks to arrive anyway. Also they come unlocked already so you would be better off this way knowing you won't have to activate anything until your husband opens his gift. Then just go through your carrier like you normally would.
  5. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    OMG Call your service provider is it that hard to go directly to the right person I dont even think your questions have got enough in common with iphones to be be even asked about here. Yes I know its an iphone your asking about but it could as easily be a Nokia or Samsung your asking about, then would you go to the Nokia fansite???
  6. 84jeepjohn macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2010
    Damn. She was asking a question. And att pawns crap off on apple and apple pawns crap off on att

Not a big deal. Guess your significant other never did something cool like this for you ;)

That's awsome that the op is doing this. But yeah. I'd die if I had to wait that long. Lol. I keep baiting my son with my old 3G. Too bad his grades have ce
    Up. Now I gotta hook it up. I'm only making him wait till the end of our cycle and it's KILLING HIM (till the 14th).
  7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Jun 19, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Holy piss monkey, this is a legitimate question. Chill.

To the OP: As others have said, if you order it from Apple it will come to your house unactivated.

And on a side note, I skipped the 3GS and went from a 3G to an iPhone 4. He is going to love it. Extremely great gift idea.

I feel bad for my girlfriend. I always buy things I want right when they come out for myself, so trying to find a gift for me is almost impossible.

She is the only person in the entire world I actually ENJOY getting clothes from... you girls do know how to pick some good s*** for your man!
  8. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 22, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    I do love my Hubs very much and I think he will really be surprised since his 3G really does suck now.
    I don't mind waiting another 2 years or so for me to get a new iPhone since my 3GS serves me fine for now and I use our iPad more than my iPhone now anyway!
    Thanks again everyone! (Well, almost everyone. ;) )