Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBrolling

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I am just wondering if it will be possible to buy a current blackbook new in the box, after the new redesigned macbooks are officially revealed. The reason I say this is because I can wait for the new ones to come out (my desktop will be fine until then), but i never really liked the bland look of silver/aluminum laptops. Is the only way to get a macbook after they are revealed going to be through a seller, used, or does anyone know if stores(apple or any other store selling the laptops) will have the current ones in stock.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
have the same question
if someone could answer these questions, it would be great

1) When/If the new Macbooks come out, will the Current Macbook models still be available through apple?

2) If so, will the refurbished prices go down even further?

3) Is it possible to buy a refurbished black macbook NOW (before the updated model comes out) and not open it, and wait about 2 weeks for the new models to come out, and if the new macbooks do come out, to return the old black macbook and get a full refund?

Thanks!!:D

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
have the same question

1) When/If the new Macbooks come out, will the Current Macbook models still be available through apple?

3) Is it possible to buy a refurbished black macbook NOW (before the updated model comes out) and not open it, and wait about 2 weeks for the new models to come out, and if the new macbooks do come out, to return the old black macbook and get a full refund?

1) No. Only new products are in the apple store, everything thats discontinued will no longer be sold. Bestbuy and futureshop keep discontinued laptops for a while though, but they will be the same price as now.

2) Yes, usually by 200 dollars.

3) No, because you cant return refurbished products since it has to be shipped, unless i think you have to pay a restocking fee which then raises the price even further, therefore defeats the purpose of buying refurbished :)
You can do that with the new macbooks in the apple store tho, but you will have to do some convincing because theres a restocking fee as well, but its much easier to wave it.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Current models are often shuffled into the refurb section of the store. There's not guarantee about that, but there's a chance they will appear.

If you're interested in the current Blackbook, you might want to get one soon in case they are all updated.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I am REALLY interested in getting a blackbook. I would buy it now, but i dont want to see new ones that MAY be better (lighter, new chips, dont really like aluminium though) come out right after i buy the old macbook!

so its possible that when the new macbooks come out, that the black macbook may still be available in the refurb store? If i can still purchase the blackbook in the refurb store and see what the new ones are like when they come out, then ill wait.

i dont know too much about the history of apple products, so when a new model comes out, does the current generation models ALWAYS go in the refurbs? or do they sometimes disappear?

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
have the same question

Maybe apple will switch from aluminum to CARBON FIBER casing - which will allow the "sleek matte black finish" on their macbook!

take a look at this -- it's scary how awesome this notebook is!

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLIrgQHV5aU

and here's where you can buy one: http://www.voodoopc.com/personalize_envy/

now i am torn between this and the macbook =(

tallestof4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
all apples old macbooks should be put on the refurbished page after the new ones come out (this is what was done when the minor macbook spec bumps occurred).

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Nobody really knows for sure if they'll be Al. Apple has always been able to pull legit leaked shots, and those Al macbook 'leaks' are still on the internet.

So, there may be a new black one after all.

Bman3221

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
have the same question

I doubt the value of the current macbooks will go down siginificantly. I'm kinda mad because I didnt find out about the new line of Macbooks a day after I just bought the current one a month ago. I just think positive. Anyways, if the new line of Macbooks are metal, then wouldnt the wifi be worse?

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I doubt the value of the current macbooks will go down siginificantly. I'm kinda mad because I didnt find out about the new line of Macbooks a day after I just bought the current one a month ago. I just think positive. Anyways, if the new line of Macbooks are metal, then wouldnt the wifi be worse?

its okay. i think the current macbooks are great still. i would get one, but since its so close to the new macbook unveiling (whenver that may be), i am just gonna wait it out. i just hope that when the new ones come out, that i still have the option of going back to the old one if i dont like it.

cristo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
The MBP are hotter, it metal, the Wi Fi stinks on my pro again its metal, again the choice is yours.

That doesn't imply that the new macbooks will have these problems, though. Actually, if anything, it implies the opposite, since presumably apple know about these problems and will look into solving them in future products!

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
i'm sure amazon and other retail outlets will still have the black macbooks, but you'd probably want to buy them soon rather than later before they run out of stock

cristo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
LOL you have to be kidding:(

Erm.. no I'm not, and I'm not entirely sure why you would think that. A company who has a product with some known 'problems' is hardly likely to bring out another product capable of exhibiting the same 'problems' without looking into solving them...

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Erm.. no I'm not, and I'm not entirely sure why you would think that. A company who has a product with some known 'problems' is hardly likely to bring out another product capable of exhibiting the same 'problems' without looking into solving them...
LOL they first started with the powerbooks having heat issues, now we are many years from the first power books, why then are we still having issues??

I do hope someday they get a handle pn it, but really not sure they ever will.

Now they are going for thinner and metal, let what and see.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
LOL they first started with the powerbooks having heat issues, now we are many years from the first power books, why then are we still having issues??

I do hope someday they get a handle pn it, but really not sure they ever will.

Now they are going for thinner and metal, let what and see.

I completely agree. The first PowerBook, 2001, had heat issues, and now in 2008, 7 years of metal MacBook Pros, we still got heat issues.

Thinner aluminum I don't think will work, it may, but it will be a lot less durable and more prone to dents and such.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
I completely agree. The first PowerBook, 2001, had heat issues, and now in 2008, 7 years of metal MacBook Pros, we still got heat issues.

Thinner aluminum I don't think will work, it may, but it will be a lot less durable and more prone to dents and such.

Thank you for agreeing with me, as it has never been fixed in all these years, we have grown to live with it, I had one of the first Macbook Airs, between the heat, Flash driving the fan nuts and other issues, I went back to the macbook which I never had problems with, My MBP is another issue.

I also like my Fan silent and on the current one i NEVER hear them at all kick up!

cristo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Well, it's either: (a) not a problem that they accept, or (b) the customers are happy to live with the problem, otherwise it would have been fixed by now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.