Buy current white macbook or wait for mini ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marbles, Feb 18, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

ye I know if you need it buy now etc , thing is there are is a lot of chatter on the webs about a new Mini soon, whad'ya think?

Macbook now or wait for Mini?,mobility isn't a concern (MBP soon be mine) going to use which ever I buy as a family PC , if it's a MB it'll be in clamshell permanently I think.

cheers
    ~m

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't believe they even still make the Mini.

Get the MacBook.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If mobility isn't a concern and the notebook would always be in clamshell, why aren't you considering an imac? What are you capability requirements of the computer?

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

The Mini would be a double good machine if it where updated with the MB internals

5. relativist macrumors regular

I suggest you get a unibody MB refurb. instead.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ok, but what are your needs? What are you wanting performance/capability wise?

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I have a better screen than the iMac and don't see the point paying for a screen I don't need , this intended purchase would simply be a family PC used by the kids, wife etc for basic tasks like email , film, a little photo editing- but not much , just teaching my little ones how to use a computer I guess, it would also be supplying the film entertainment for the family as we don't have a TV so would use this instead

8. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Why?

9. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

If you're just looking for a family PC and are willing to pay up to $1000, then go for a refurbished iMac.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Like iPhoto photo editing or something heavy like photoshop? If it will just be light, the mini will fit your needs and leave you some extra cash. You wouldn't even need to wait for an update (if it's coming).

11. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

Do you think you're kids are going to do any sort of graphics-intensive gaming?

If so, then I'd probably avoid the Mini in it's current form.

12. Scippy macrumors regular

Since it doesn't need to be portable and you already have a screen. I'd go with the mini.

13. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would get neither of them. Think about the new Unibody's before you get a White MacBook. They are really great.

If I had to choose, I would wait for the Mini. It will probably be amazing once it comes out (if it ever does). Getting the White MacBook is just like buying the current Mini.

14. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Mac Mini is a great little computer but it is very underpowered for the price, I would wait it out.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Because buying a portable computer and using it in clamshell mode is pointless. It's like buying a 10 bedroom house and only sleeping in 2 of them. If you have approximately $1000 budget then the iMac is your choice. The current white MacBook is also that same price. Why pay for something less? No screen, not as good graphics, slower processor, etc.

16. relativist macrumors regular

Obviously, he want's to use his own screen, and there is no Mac in that price range other than the Mini. The reason I recommend the unibody refurb is that's it's about the same price, and you get a better computer, with higher resale value, it's more future proof. That's why.

.....Curtis

17. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I would say wait out for the Mac Mini... but people have been waiting over a year now. *sigh*

But what I CAN say is don't buy a notebook unless you're going to use it. There's no point in it whatsoever.

If your machine is only going to be used for simple tasks, then I would consider it... but something about buying 2 year old tech at premium leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

18. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Wait for the Mini. Kids and notebooks equal bad news.

19. svndmvn Guest

Since IMO the white macbook is getting ready to leave us, I doubt the new mini will have DDR2 and not 3, it will probably have a minidisplay port as well. I say wait a couple of months or whatever for the Mini.

20. yoppie macrumors 6502a

The Mac mini sounds like the computer for you since you already have a screen. The only problem is that it's not worth the $$$ in it's current form, a bit overpriced.

If you're interested in waiting it out then feel free to do so but who knows how long you'll be waiting. It hasn't been updated in 2 years.

21. svndmvn Guest

but since 10.5.6 has some sort of drivers for an Nvidia Mac Mini is it safe to say the new Mini and iMac will be here, if nothing goes wrong, before 10.5.7?

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I wish I could answer that but unfortunately I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

23. svndmvn Guest

10.5.4 looks like it was out in July
    10.5.5 September
    10.5.6 December
    I'm pretty sure something similar related to "drivers" has happened before but I just can't find any info as to how long after that the products were released.