Buy custom conf or wait for Haswell - pro designer

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by matejn, May 20, 2013.

1. matejn macrumors newbie

Hello,

my actual workstation has some major hardware problem so I'm thinking of switching to Mac. I'm an front-end developer, grapic designer - DTP & webdesign. I'm thinking of MCBA 13" i7 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD (+27" isp display for serious work). I have to run Adobe PS, Il, Dw / Ds and Safari all at once.

In my country, Slovakia, there are only Premium reselers, so the delivery of custom configuration is between 3 to 6 weeks. So, when I'll get new Mac to my hands there will be new models on the market.

My question is, what is wiser choice, to buy custom config today, or to wait for Haswell custom configs?

Do you thing thats real change that Hastwells will be on the market by the WWCD and with no retina screen (don't want retina, profs. will know why) and with custom configuration - need as much RAM as possible?

Other thing is, that I need a machine I can rely on, with no premature hardware glitches and the Air has to be usable for pro work for aprox. 4 years.

So whats your finall opinion - buy custom today or wait?

Thank you so much for useful opinios, Matej

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I would wait. Either you can get something better, or what you want to buy will go on sale.

3. matejn thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, is it still possible to buy / order custom configurations of prevouis models when new models are released?

4. Bear macrumors G3

No. After the new models are released, all you can get of the previous models is leftover standard configurations and whatever configurations turn up for sale refurbished on Apple's web site.

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

which will be most of them initially but otherwise yes, that's correct.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Get a replacement PC for haf the cost. Not sure why you need to switch to a Mac for that kind of work. If you are not worried about the cost and really do want to get a Mac then surely a Mac Mini would be a far more sensible purchase?

7. Bear macrumors G3

A Mac mini instead of a laptop? That's an odd suggestion especially since the OP never mentioned it was strictly for use in one location. Maybe they want portability now?

And as for your suggestion to get another PC, maybe the OP has some other reasons they want a Mac. And for a lightweight laptop, the MBA is the only decent choice.

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

"for that kind of work" ?

You're aware that the majority of the design industry uses Macs for a variety of different reasons right?

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Portability was never mentioned.

----------

The OP is currently using a PC and not a Mac. It doesn't really make much sense to switch platforms.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

his windows machine is toast. its the perfect time to switch platforms. besides mac can run both if he wants and he gets a better operating system to boot.