Buy FCS3 now or wait to FCP X?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oacory, Apr 13, 2011.

1. oacory macrumors regular

I am a film student and I had every intention of buying FCS3 this week since I had recently bought a retail copy of FCP 2 on eBay. The rumor last week about a new Final Cut being announced yesterday, I put my plans on hold to see the next big thing. I am unsure if I should go through and get the suite or wait for FCP X to come out and purchase that. The $299 price tag was what I would have been spending on the upgrade so there is no real difference there but I want things like Color, DVD Studio, Motion, etc. Doe anyone have any information that they are indeed working on updates for these applications? Also, how do you think the additional content would go? Just download what you need from online like Adobe does now?

Any insight would help me in making my decision. Thanks.

2. jwheeler macrumors regular

If it were me, I'd wait. I'm gunna wait to see what the education pricing is on this anyway. Does anyone know the licensing terms for Education license of the current fcp?

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

If it is on the app store don't except any edu discount as has been the case with Aperture.

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I don't know the full terms, but as far as upgrading educational licenses, you can't.

At a $299 price point, I'd be surprised if there were much of a discount at all. Should they still offer the full suite then I would expect most of the discount to be offered on that.

5. alph45 macrumors member

this isn't an update, it's a rebuild and with features that change workflow significantly. i wouldn't even consider the purchasing the old fcp if i was in the market.

wait for the suit details as it looks like a lot of suite features are wrapped into fcp x. how other elements of suite are broken out in this new version is tba.

personally can't wait to get compressor off my computer. piece o crap.

6. jwheeler macrumors regular

You can buy aperture on the Apple's Online Education Store for £60 down from £173, so...

Edit: What! It's on the app store for £45 Wow! Why is it so cheap on the App Store???

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To encourage you to use said App Store. Im hoping for Final Cut Pro X to be 199 from the App Store (Then I can upgrade from FCS3 to FCX + any bits of FCS3 I still need...). If were lucky the educational discount will still exist on the Suite if it exists, so itd be 299 for the Suite (UK-Edu) instead of 800 for all the apps seperately in the App Store...

8. gameface macrumors 6502

Can you wait 2 months before you NEED it? Will you be in the middle of something when it comes out? Personally, even if I wanted to (I don't) I can't upgrade to FCP X until around the new year as I will be busy editing shows until then and I can't upgrade the primary application in the middle of these projects. If you can wait, go for it, but don't put a hindrance on your learning (you're in film school) over $300. If you need it, get it now.

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

wait with a huge capital W.

The new videos just posted show that it will involve a slightly different thinking approach (much more common sense and easier!) so no sense learning how FCS 3 currently works.

It looks fantastic.

10. gameface macrumors 6502

Yeah, no sense on learning the fundamentals of the way ALL NLE's work. Just take what good ol Steve gives you and like it. :rolleyes:

11. jwheeler macrumors regular

wow closed mind.

it actually looks good. time will tell. I'd still learn standard nle editing (not just for flexibilities sake) because it is still fundamentally that. just with some nice time saving features.

i'm looking forward to june to assess it properly before deciding between NLEs. I try before i buy.

12. gameface macrumors 6502

That was exactly my point, just dripping with sarcasm. :D

13. jwheeler macrumors regular

i know, but i was just wanting point out that fcpx isn't a beefed imovie (all though graphics design cues have obviously carried across) and that is is a nle fundamentally. or at least it looked like it from the presentation.

14. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I agree with what some other people have said. If you need it right now, then stick with FCS3. If you can wait, then go for it. However, you also need to be sure that certain things you will need to work on will be accessible in the new FCP. I personally would wait if at all possible, see how the new suite looks, then act on it later.