Buy Final Cut Express 4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Artful Dodger, May 4, 2010.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hello all,

Well after getting a new camcorder I feel it's time to move into FCE however since watching the price fluctuate as of late is there any speculation of a FCE 5 in the near future?
    I am aware if needed just get it (I give the same advice) but for the next month or so I can hold off. I looked through MRoogle and the gist of things seems to be it is somewhat long in the tooth since an upgrade has happened but it is software and time consuming to develop so two years or so seems realistic since it's last upgrade.
    Any thoughts and or advice is much welcomed.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

FCP/FCS will probably be updated again before FCE is. Most of what was added to FCP 7 didn't really apply to FCE 4 - it got more ProRes codecs, an updated version of Color, etc. Somehow, I don't see a new version of FCE until its big-brother gets a much-needed overhaul.

Given Apple's historical refresh cycle on Final Cut Studio, we probably won't see new versions of either variant of Final Cut for at least another year. So, somehow I doubt you'll have much to worry about if you buy FCE 4 right now.