Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrpoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Hey, I'm getting ready to purchase a MacBook pro and I just wanted opinions on the advantages and disadvantages on buying one from an Apple store compared to bestbuy? Al I know right now is that bestbuy is running a special right now.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I would buy it from an authorized seller (BB is one) with the best price; it is covered by the same warranty and you can also purchase Applecare if so inclined.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
Go for best buy when they have a rMBP sale. Use a 10% off mover's coupon.

Got my $2600 model for $2200ish from BB.

jrpoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Go for best buy when they have a rMBP sale. Use a 10% off mover's coupon.

Got my $2600 model for $2200ish from BB.

movers coupon? would get that at a post office? also I'm a student. would anyone happen to know if the student discount is still available?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Today I bought the 15 inch 2.5 with the 512 ssd and midis video card.
The Apple Store matched the BB price of $2375

I kicked around the idea of going to BB for the points.
I was in the mall and at the Apple Store so I bought there.

jrpoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Today I bought the 15 inch 2.5 with the 512 ssd and midis video card.
The Apple Store matched the BB price of $2375

I kicked around the idea of going to BB for the points.
I was in the mall and at the Apple Store so I bought there.

Nice

jimyo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
Saturday I bought a 15" Macbook Pro from my Apple store they price matched Best Buy I got the Entry level one for $1899...I just felt more comfortable with my Apple store

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
movers coupon? would get that at a post office? also I'm a student. would anyone happen to know if the student discount is still available?

Yea go to the post office and get one. They didn't let me combine the student discount and mover's coupon, although I have read on here that some people did get BB to take both.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Saturday I bought a 15" Macbook Pro from my Apple store they price matched Best Buy I got the Entry level one for $1899...I just felt more comfortable with my Apple store

I agree, the ease in which they take back items (like home depot and Lowes) worries me especually when spending $2000+

Funny story:
Went to dinner with friends Saturday, we spilt the bill. We both have Chase cards.
I used the interest free barclay option. Then purchased accessories on the Chase card. Well it didn't come up with my name, it was the other couples wifes card. A couple of store reps were quick to pay a visit. Luckily I set up apple pay using chase so they had the last 4 of my account and felt comfortable with that and a quick phone call to my friend. I was so excited with the MBP purchase apple pay slipped my mind. Glad the apple rep caught that. I charge everything on the chase card for the points and pay it every monday. found it odd charges made Sunday weren't showing up on the transaction lists, now I know why.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The only issue with BB is that they have no support for the Apple products they sell. If their is a defect, BB will ship it off to the state of KY and it's 2-3 week wait if your lucky. If you decide to go with BB, don't buy their warranty, contact Apple and purchase Apple Care.

steveh552

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2014
I actually posted this very question at the beginning of the year when I was in the market and got the same varied responses on which was better.

I went to the Apple store to look at them and they quickly told me they would match the Best Buy price and then she asked if I was a student, I was honest and told her not for about 3 years or so, she still gave me the student discount on both the rMBP and Applecare. It was the easiest buying experience i have had in a store, they took the time to show me how to use it (was a first time mac user) even though they were slammed.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Neither! Both charge sales tax!!!!!

Always check the AppleInsider price list and remember that with Amazon, Best Buy, and Apple you will be charged sales tax. We saved hundreds on our current rMBPs by getting them from Adorama with free AppleCare.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.